So I got this beef liver....Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad i am not the only adventurous eater out there :tank: I'm often more intimidated by cooking something rather than eating it. I feel a certain degree of knowledge must be necessary to make intimidating/unfamiliar foods well.
No bugs yet, but I do make a point to go to hole-in-the-wall restaurants. I love being surrounded with people speaking other languages and ordering unfamiliar things.

Glad i am not the only adventurous eater out there :tank: I'm often more intimidated by cooking something rather than eating it. I feel a certain degree of knowledge must be necessary to make intimidating/unfamiliar foods well.
No bugs yet, but I do make a point to go to hole-in-the-wall restaurants. I love being surrounded with people speaking other languages and ordering unfamiliar things.

Attaboy! :)... I have gotten a huge amount of enjoyment in life doing just that.

Thundercougarfalconbird said:

Personally i can only do "local" places like that. How ever im not afraid to drop $300 on a meal for two either. LOVE those places.

Personally i can only do "local" places like that. How ever im not afraid to drop $300 on a meal for two either. LOVE those places.

For me, the hole-in-the-wall places in my area have the best food, so it could be a geography thing. Southern food like low-country boils, good bbq, and legit soul food are staples.
I would blow the cash for five-star but I'm a student and don't have much of an income yet.
I go to a bunch of foreign food places, but tend to return to places I see members of that nationality eating at. I go to these great Mexican and Turkish grocery stores (both have small restaurants in them) and a really great Caribbean food-shack all the time.

I've never tried eating beef liver. My dad would have liver and onions every once in a while when I was growing up--it was usually when nobody else was home. I've been going in on getting a side of beef with other family members for the past several years and have stocked up on the liver. So I'm willing to give it a try. If I don't care for it too much, then I like the idea of using it as catfish bait. :D

With nicely caramelized onions the beef liver goes down pretty easily. There's many ways to prepare it. It's such a great food that used to be consumed by people pretty often (among other organs and glands) that seems at least in the west to have really fallen out of favor.

In China I tried lots of different foods though I did prefer not to know what I was eating, I could not eat dog and made this quite clear to the person I was with, when I left China I was given a bottle of spirits, It had an unusual flavour and I had drank about half of it when I asked a Chinese person to translate what was in it I was told it was made with dogs dicks! Getting back to the liver I tried the Creamy Goodness version with the wine using calves liver, but I sliced it and fried it with onions before adding the red wine served it up with snow peas new potatoes and spring cabbage, all fresh out of the garden(it is spring over here) and it was magnificent, everyone enjoyed it, I fried the leftover cabbage with bacon and blackpudding for breakfast (Irish breakfast)

porcupine73 said:
With nicely caramelized onions the beef liver goes down pretty easily. There's many ways to prepare it. It's such a great food that used to be consumed by people pretty often (among other organs and glands) that seems at least in the west to have really fallen out of favor.

What do you mean by "in the west"? Offal is considered a delicacy in mans western European countries (along with much of the rest of the world), and there are a gazillion tasty recipes out there...

What do you mean by "in the west"? Offal is considered a delicacy in mans western European countries (along with much of the rest of the world), and there are a gazillion tasty recipes out there...

I agree. Pretty much I meant the U.S., though there do seem to be some dedicated fans here. Organs, glands and offal are a delicacy and very healthy if from properly raised animals. Yes there many tasty recipes for it.

Back to the topic at hand:

1.5lb liver, cleaned and cut in strips or bite-size pieces
1, cut in stripes
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons fat for frying
Salt
Pepper
Marjoram
Dash of high quality white vinegar

Melt fat and lightly brown onion and liver in it. Careful not to overcook the liver. Add wine and spices to taste. After evaporating the alcohol, thicken sauce with flour. Finish with vinegar according to taste. Serve with potatoes prepared to your liking.

Latest posts

Back