US-05 off flavors.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotten the "peaches" from US-05 once or twice when I fermented in the low 60s. I could see how some might like it - it's not the most offensive flavor in the world, but I wasn't a fan because it happened in lighter hopped beers and took over a good part of the flavor. I never got it fermenting between 65-68 though. I use US-05 more than any other yeast.

Crazy topic re-hash. I think I'm having this off-flavour as well. Has anyone improved this by not using 02 like it was suggested?

I just mentioned yesterday in some other thread, I tried my first sample of a S-05 blonde ale and I definitely picked up a subtle, almost saison-like flavor note. I’ve never noticed that before with S-05. I think it may have been caused by my not controlling the ferm temp closely enough. I initially set the controller for about 65F, but never bothered to put the heater in the fridge, because I figured only cooling would be needed. But the room where the ferm fridge sits got cold enough that the temperature of the fermenting beer dropped to 60F over the first night. At that point, I put the heater in there and brought the temperature back up, and controlled it with both heating and cooling as needed for the rest of the process.

Fortunately, I didn’t mind that flavor note at all; it didn’t taste “bad” by any means. Still, I obviously would like to understand why things like that happen, and the temperature thing is the only theory I have because it’s the only thing that distinguishes this fermentation from several other S-05 batches I’ve done.

I just mentioned yesterday in some other thread, I tried my first sample of a S-05 blonde ale and I definitely picked up a subtle, almost saison-like flavor note. I’ve never noticed that before with S-05. I think it may have been caused by my not controlling the ferm temp closely enough. I initially set the controller for about 65F, but never bothered to put the heater in the fridge, because I figured only cooling would be needed. But the room where the ferm fridge sits got cold enough that the temperature of the fermenting beer dropped to 60F over the first night. At that point, I put the heater in there and brought the temperature back up, and controlled it with both heating and cooling as needed for the rest of the process.

Fortunately, I didn’t mind that flavor note at all; it didn’t taste “bad” by any means. Still, I obviously would like to understand why things like that happen, and the temperature thing is the only theory I have because it’s the only thing that distinguishes this fermentation from several other S-05 batches I’ve done.

Yeah its not necessarily a bad taste. In some cases it just doesn't belong. Just being nit picky I suppose.

I brewed a blonde using US 05 and fermented it in the low 60s. The profile was very clean and it tasted great.

I just kegged an Amber I brewed a few weeks later using US 05 as well. The flavor profile is bordering on a Belgian! This batch was fermented warmer between 68 and 70 and may have gotten up to 72 at one point before I brought it into the basement.

I have used US 05 in the past with great success; my latest experience is what brought me to this thread.

I would concur that the US-05 has a "flavor" to it. It can been hidden by hops and fermented temps will certainly change the flavor profile. I seem to notice it more with extract brews vs AG. Just my 2 cents.

After noticing these flavors a few years ago, I started experimenting with ferm temps when using US-05, and found that it's most neutral around 66-68 (ferm temp, not ambient).

Back