Too many different hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temptnmonkey

Reaction score
I'm making an IPA (on the lighter side--1.059 OG, haven't measured FG yet, only been in the primary for a week, but it is estimated at 1.014), and I wanted to dry-hop it. My recipe included the following hops during boil:

1 oz Chinook (60 mins)
1 oz Amarillo (60 mins)
1 oz Centennial (20 mins)
0.5 oz Kent Goldings (20 mins)
1 oz Centennial (5 mins)
0.5 oz Kent Goldings (0 mins)

I am targeting a nice citrusy hop flavor, and I wanted to dry hop 1 or 2 oz for a week in the secondary (also with 12 oz of Raspberry for a fun nice tart background). My main question for those more experienced is if adding Cascade or Citra (or both) for dry hopping would over-complicate the hop profile or not?

I have a pretty high liking for hops, so hoppiness is goodness.

Just looking at what you have, adding an ounce or soof cascade for dryhopping would be pretty a-ok, and I doubt it'd complicate it too much. Hoppier is better.

I personally haven't used Citra, but I hear tell it's a good one to dry hop with.

I'd throw in at least .5oz of Cascade at 10mins,Centennial @ 5mins. Dry hop with the other.5oz of Cascade,.5 oz Kent Golding saved out of the 5min spot with it. Plus an ounce of Amarillo.

I think the raspberry will be lost in the beer, and wouldn't use it. 12 ozs in a gallon is still not much.

Both Citra and Cascade will do well as dry hops. Personally, I'd just select one of them and not mix them, but I'm sure they would do very well together. I have often used Cascade to give a little life to a beer that doesn't quite come up to where I want it with the standard hopping.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I guess there really is no wrong answer, but just go with what one likes.

Back