Suggestions for second batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRDroid

Reaction score
I really like like dark beers, I'm doing a porter for my first batch, and fruity lighter beers (I love wit). I kind of want to try something fun and new that I haven't had before. Any suggestions for something fun for a beginner to brew? Any thoughts on a Raspberry Wit?

Try the Kiwi Wit recipe in Extreme Brewing. It's a basic wit recipe, but calls for adding 4-5lbs of kiwi to the fermentor. The recipe says to add the kiwi to the boil, but I make a Kiwi Wit (my own base recipe) on a regular basis and find that it tastes best when added directly to the fermentor.

I have one that I just kegged that I added 9lbs of kiwi and 2lbs of strawberry to. It tastes excellent.

Based on your description of what you like to drink, I would suggest a dunkelweizen - you'll get some of those nice malt flavors you like in porters, combined with the spicy fruity flavors that you get in the wheat beers. Happy brewing, and good luck!

Since you are only on your second brew, I suggest you try a few more BASIC, simple beer kits/recipes in styles you are completely familiar with.

This way you can perfect you technique before trying something new to you.

If you try something completely new on your second kit, and it is not great, you might be left wondering if it is the kit, your technique, your equipment, your brew water.....etc.......

Trust me, your brewing skills and knowledge will increase with practice.

Once you have brewed at least a half dozen basic kits/recipes in styles you are familiar with that turn our good, then it is time to branch out.

My two cents... Pez.

Since you are only on your second brew, I suggest you try a few more BASIC, simple beer kits/recipes in styles you are completely familiar with.

This way you can perfect you technique before trying something new to you.

If you try something completely new on your second kit, and it is not great, you might be left wondering if it is the kit, your technique, your equipment, your brew water.....etc.......

Trust me, your brewing skills and knowledge will increase with practice.

Once you have brewed at least a half dozen basic kits/recipes in styles you are familiar with that turn our good, then it is time to branch out.

My two cents... Pez.

While this may be good advice for some...I don't always agree with it.

When I first started brewing, I did 2 kits before deciding I wanted to make my own recipes. After I did 4 of my own recipes, I decided to go AG. I think it all depends on how fast you learn and how willing you are to learn. I dove in head first and went crazy trying to learn everything I could about brewing. I didn't brew the same style beer for almost 2 years.

I tend to be a quick learner. My first batch I made my own variation of a porter recipe and steeped grains. I read two books before I even bought my first ingredients.

Back