Infection ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing my 3rd batch. The last 2 were pre-hopped Coopers kit and this one was my first attempt at Partial Mash brewing.

My beer's fermenting for 2 weeks at around 12-13 Celcius. I took a gravity test this morning and honestly, my beer looks terrible. However, the smell and taste is fine.

Can someone confirm that this is an infection or if they've ever seen that before ?

PB200015.jpg

PB200016.jpg

What should I do now ?

Ignore it and let the krausen remains fall. that looks like the remains that you get with certain types of yeasts. Some look chunky like that and some look like cottage cheese.

The biggest thing is that, like you said, it smells normal, you could draw off a sample and give it a taste.

Ignore it and let the krausen remains fall. that looks like the remains that you get with certain types of yeasts. Some look chunky like that and some look like cottage cheese.

The biggest thing is that, like you said, it smells normal, you could draw off a sample and give it a taste.

Wow...that was a fast reply Revvy ! :D

Thanks for the info. Should I leave it in my primary until everything as fall to the bottom ?

Wow...that was a fast reply Revvy ! :D

Thanks for the info. Should I leave it in my primary until everything as fall to the bottom ?

Have you taken a gravity reading? I bet since there's curdles still floating it's not done yet/

Many folks don't secondary at all unless we are dry hopping or adding fruit or oak, we opt instead for long primaries. I leave mine in for a month then bottle.

If it is done, and you do choose to secondary, since you are racking from the bottom, that will stay on the top and get left behind.

Have you taken a gravity reading? I bet since there's curdles still floating it's not done yet/

Many folks don't secondary at all unless we are dry hopping or adding fruit or oak, we opt instead for long primaries. I leave mine in for a month then bottle.

If it is done, and you do choose to secondary, since you are racking from the bottom, that will stay on the top and get left behind.

I also never did secondary fermentation. Usually I'm leaving it for 3 weeks but maybe this time I'll leave it for a month to let it settle a little more.

Thanks for your support Revvy !

I got that with Saflager Fermentis #S-23....

Good thing to know, this is exactly what I've used. And I used 2 packs like it says on it since I was doing a cold fermentation.

Did it settle at the bottom at some point or did you had it until the bottling/kegging ?

Back