Fermenter Size ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspector13

Reaction score
I have 6.5 gallon carboy and bucket for fermenters but I picked up a 10 gallon food grade container with a screw lid that has a seal. Really a nice heavy duty container. I like the idea of the plastic container over glass for obvious reasons ant this container seals much better than my bucket. Now the question, will the size of the 10 gallon container be a problem when fermenting a 5 gallon batch of beer?

Thanks All

Wade

Shouldn't be a problem for a primary since you'll have a good layer of CO2 that'll build up right away. Wouldn't want to secondary with that much headspace though.

If you have 10 gallons of space in your primary, you can scale your recipes up a bit. Get an extra couple gallons fairly easily, primary for 3+ weeks so it clears right in the primary and then bottle without a secondary. Nothing wrong with more beer. :D

Back