top of fermenter exploded off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djr76

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question.

SO I come back from work today and there must have been alot of fermenting action because it backed up into the airlock AND exploded the top of the fermenter off. I cleaned and sanitized everything and put it back in place.

My question is do you think the beer has become infected do to the exposure of oxygen?

Hey guys quick question.

SO I come back from work today and there must have been alot of fermenting action because it backed up into the airlock AND exploded the top of the fermenter off. I cleaned and sanitized everything and put it back in place.

My question is do you think the beer has become infected do to the exposure of oxygen?

Nope, I think it will be fine. If every batch that blew it's top got infected, we would have a lot less beer in the world. As you can tell by the load of drunken sots around here, beer is really hard to mess up. :D

You might want to rig up a blow off tube.

My first batch did this too, and it turned out just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm definitely sticking with the blowoff tube now, at least for the first few days.

Oxygen wouldn't infect your beer. Your beer could become oxidized from exposure to oxygen, but that's not an infection. The concern when you blow the top off is any randomly floating particles that could possibly land in there.

You are 99% most likely fine on both cases. When your fermentation is that active, it is pushing out a ton of CO2 which will prevent oxygen from hitting the surface, and it will also keep anything airborn out by the same method.

Back