Killing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schott703

Reaction score
The rule of thumb for yeast death is 140 deg. Correct? How long to that temp exposure?

The rule of thumb for yeast death is 140 deg. Correct? How long to that temp exposure?

If I understand correctly it is a formula of time and temperature. 140 is pretty darn close to instant death but if you hold yeast at 120 for long enough you will probably kill it. But then again I'm no scientist.

Inner10 said:
If I understand correctly it is a formula of time and temperature. 140 is pretty darn close to instant death but if you hold yeast at 120 for long enough you will probably kill it. But then again I'm no scientist.

Thanks ! If you read my other post I created some bombs last night. Still experimenting. Any other advice on pasteurizing would be great

Thanks ! If you read my other post I created some bombs last night. Still experimenting. Any other advice on pasteurizing would be great

My best advice is do away with the troublesome process and get a keg. Say 80 bucks for a refurb keg, 100 for co2 tank 100 for regulator. Money well spent.

Inner10 said:
My best advice is do away with the troublesome process and get a keg. Say 80 bucks for a refurb keg, 100 for co2 tank 100 for regulator. Money well spent.

Not real familiar with the process. If I go that route, can I force carb, and still bottle? What would I need for that?

Not real familiar with the process. If I go that route, can I force carb, and still bottle? What would I need for that?

Oh yeah, you can buy a bottle gun for your keg or build one:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back