Adding Whirfloc post boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeuphicks

Reaction score
Ok so this has happened to me about 3 times now, but as usual I drank too much during the brewing process and forgot to throw my whirfloc in at 15mins left in the boil as its one of those unimportant ingredients that you dont think about.
So while it was in the cooling stage I decided to throw it in. Im pretty sure it wont have any adverse side effects, just wondering if it will do anything at all (clearing up the beer wise) at that stage in the game.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance guys.

Ok so this has happened to me about 3 times now, but as usual I drank too much during the brewing process and forgot to throw my whirfloc in at 15mins left in the boil as its one of those unimportant ingredients that you dont think about.
So while it was in the cooling stage I decided to throw it in. Im pretty sure it wont have any adverse side effects, just wondering if it will do anything at all (clearing up the beer wise) at that stage in the game.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance guys.

No, I wouldn't expect it to do anything at all when added post-boil.

It works in the boil to coagulate proteins, giving you a clearer beer by having the proteins clump together and be heavier, so that they fall out.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance guys.

Hard to say. I just finished an article that claims Irish Moss does most of it's work in the fermentor not the kettle.

The addition is done right at the end of the boil because the heat cause the protein to "unwind". As the protein cools it returns to its original shape grabbing the wort protein matter in the process. At a minimum it works during the cold break but apparently keeps doing its thing in the fermentor also.

If your wort was hot enough for the Moss to change shape then it just may do its thing despite the late addition. WhirlFloc tablets only need to be in the last 5 minutes...15 is too long, the protein actually gets damaged.

Hard to say. I just finished an article that claims Irish Moss does most of it's work in the fermentor not the kettle.

The addition is done right at the end of the boil because the heat cause the protein to "unwind". As the protein cools it returns to its original shape grabbing the wort protein matter in the process. At a minimum it works during the cold break but apparently keeps doing its thing in the fermentor also.

If your wort was hot enough for the Moss to change shape then it just may do its thing despite the late addition. WhirlFloc tablets only need to be in the last 5 minutes...15 is too long, the protein actually gets damaged.

It wasnt too long after Id stuck it in the ice bath, so Im sure the temp was still pretty high.

Back