"Disabled ads"???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnyg

Reaction score
"You have disabled ads. Ads keep this community online.

Please whitelist ads or upgrade to Premium Membership."

Am I the only one getting the above red banner at the top of this page???

And, just how, pray tell, am I disabling them--I have all I can do to just post, etc.

WTF?
:off:

ive got that message before as a pop up, its if you use adblock/ mozilla I think. this is in the wrong forum btw.

"ive got that message before as a pop up, its if you use adblock/ mozilla I think. this is in the wrong forum btw."

Knew I'd be subject to the pc police--congrats!

"ive got that message before as a pop up, its if you use adblock/ mozilla I think. this is in the wrong forum btw."

Knew I'd be subject to the pc police--congrats!

I think he is just saying this does not belong in the "Extract Brewing" forum. Maybe "Feedback" forum would be more appropriate.

I think you will get this banner if you are running "Adblock" (as an add-in for Firefox in my case.) Personally I don't mind the ads (help support the site and all), but I added those banners to Adblock b/c there was ad that was either really annoying or inappropriate for work. I have turned the Adblock off to try it out for a while.

I think he is just saying this does not belong in the "Extract Brewing" forum. Maybe "Feedback" forum would be more appropriate.

I think you will get this banner if you are running "Adblock" (as an add-in for Firefox in my case.) Personally I don't mind the ads (help support the site and all), but I added those banners to Adblock b/c there was ad that was either really annoying or inappropriate for work. I have turned the Adblock off to try it out for a while.

Yeah, yeah--I got that--point is I'm seeing the banner in THIS forum!
:mug:

I don't have adblock on my computer and still get the "Disabled Ads" message. The reason it shows is because I do not have Flash installed here at work. If you don;t have Flash you don't see the ads so you get the message..

I posted about his last week but apparently is was too "sensitive" so they deleted the thread.

Heck, just ignore it. Eventually it blends in and seems just like the rest of the board. Been seeing it for a week now and I think I'd miss it if it went away. :D

Heck, just ignore it. Eventually it blends in and seems just like the rest of the board. Been seeing it for a week now and I think I'd miss it if it went away. :D

Yeh, yer right!

Recently, me wife got me a small squirter of WD40--I had a bathroom door w/a mild squeak--I miss that squeak now; especially around 0400 when I check the e-mail...
;)

Let me invite you all to support the site (and not see the ads) by becoming premium members - one year is $25. A wise investment with remarkable returns!

Let me invite you all to support the site (and not see the ads) by becoming premium members - one year is $25. A wise investment with remarkable returns!

This is what keeps the community online, and then some. HBT is not strapped for change. Ads just bring in more money. There are always people forking out $25 or $100 for the super awesome membership (even upon just joining) that give you a super awesome avatar and access to super secret forums. Neato. I would be more inclined to donate if they weren't constantly pestering me to give give give, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Awaiting censorship by lock or deletion...

I kinda feel the same way, kinda feel like I'm being badgered to donate. I want to donate and I asked the question if I donate $25 per year for 5 or 6 years, do I then get a lifetime membership? Didn't get an answer to that. Like I said before, I'll ignore the big red sign with the sad dog.

You aren't going to get banned or censored for not being happy with a policy unless you get defiantly vocal about it. On the same note, if you don't like the ads or the reminders to upgrade, there is only one way to fix it.

I want to donate and I asked the question if I donate $25 per year for 5 or 6 years, do I then get a lifetime membership?

I think you'll find that if you rent a house for 25 years those unreasonable bastards don't up and turn the property over to you either! It's almost as if they're giving you something extra simply for ponying up extra funds up front. Madness!

This is what keeps the community online, and then some. HBT is not strapped for change. Ads just bring in more money. There are always people forking out $25 or $100 for the super awesome membership (even upon just joining) that give you a super awesome avatar and access to super secret forums. Neato. I would be more inclined to donate if they weren't constantly pestering me to give give give, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Awaiting censorship by lock or deletion...

Your sarcasm is unwarranted, in my opinion. My post was short, straightforward and sincere.

As to the substance of your posts, the owner of the forum has given us two options: use the forum for free and see the ads or pay a modest annual membership and don't see the ads. Either way is a great deal, in my opinion. I chose to pay a membership to avoid the ads and to support the forum, from which I both learn and enjoy.

I think you'll find that if you rent a house for 25 years those unreasonable bastards don't up and turn the property over to you either! It's almost as if they're giving you something extra simply for ponying up extra funds up front. Madness!

That's not really an accurate comparison. I can mortgage a house and own it after so many years. Why not offer the same here? $125 for a lifetime membership paid at once right? Ok, so if I pay $25 for 6 years, that's $150. Just saying that's all. I certainly appreciate everything I learn here, just haven't found the need to donate yet.

Ok, so if I pay $25 for 6 years, that's $150. Just saying that's all. I certainly appreciate everything I learn here, just haven't found the need to donate yet.

Well, what I was getting at is that you are being rewarded for paying a lot of money up front, not being punished for making regular annual payments. There's a financial incentive for the owner to get a large sum up front so you get something extra. If he gave the same lifetime membership to everyone after a set number of years, the incentive is removed to donate a lump sum and therefore the additional reward is unnecessary.

Hang around for a bit and I think you'll begin to see why people become members. Don't feel pressured, but once you begin to feel that you need this site to be a better brewer and can't live without it, it might be time for you to get your avatar. :mug:

Back