Stone Cali-Belgique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this beer.

I absolutely loved it. Some of my friends that don't like Belgium beers loved it too. Very drinkable.

I tried this right after trying VE 888 and actually prefered the Cali-Belgique.

I think I'll have to plan on brewing this if I can get more info on it.

I had this not knowing anything about it and thought it was terrible, no wonder -- Belgians are the only style of beer I dislike so far.

This is absolutely one of my recent favorites, of late!

I'm actually going to be brewing the NB Belgian Tripel IPA next week, hoping to capture some of the same magic.

I think its really good, but so far my favorite Belgian style IPA is Flying Dog's Raging *****. I wish I lived in Colorado so I could get it fresh on tap - plus it is also their most expensive beer (about 16 bucks for a 6 pack I think) and they don't sell it in bombers. I think Ommegang makes a decent one but the only time I've had it the bottle was seriously overcarbed to the point where I couldn't drink it.

Well, I still drank it, of course, but it was very difficult.

12 #2-row
1 #Crystal 10
8oz. Crystal 20

Time Oz. Hop.

60 mins 0.5 Magnum leaf 16.7
10 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 6.4
10 mins 1.0 Summit pellet 16.1
5 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 6.4
5 mins 0.5 Citra leaf 13.4
5 mins 1.0 Summit pellet 16.1
1 min 0.5 Citra leaf 13.4
1 min 1.0 Cascade pellet 6.4
1 min 1.0 Summit pellet 16.1

White labs 570 Belgian Golden Ale yeast.

Pitched in low 60's and allowed to rise naturally to 68-72F in high 50's to low 60's ambient temp garage.

Not the same, but close. Watch out though this yeast does not clear worth a damn. Possibly most unflocculant yeast in the world.

The grain bill is similar/really close to stone IPA, and the hops are my own design based on what I had with special attention paid to clean bittering, and adding pineapple/tropical fruit to the citrusy hops.

The only thing I may do different next time is wither go head and build a filter, or just wait forever and a day for the yeast to drop before jogging.

Still delicious though.

Latest posts

Back