Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aargh! Started a big (12 cup) batch early on the 23rd...popped the lid a few minutes ago to check on it, and got hit in the face with a big old whiff of acetone. :( I know I've still got two full weeks to go, and I know some folks have had this happen and had it turn out fine - I. Just *really* hope I'm one of 'em.

BattleGoat said:
Aargh! Started a big (12 cup) batch early on the 23rd...popped the lid a few minutes ago to check on it, and got hit in the face with a big old whiff of acetone. :( I know I've still got two full weeks to go, and I know some folks have had this happen and had it turn out fine - I. Just *really* hope I'm one of 'em.

It sounds like you got hit by a big ol' whiff of carbon dioxide and alcohol. That can't be pleasant. I'm sure it will be fine. Mine smelled very alcoholic.

Thought I would give it a go today and made 2 different batches. One I used just the yeast balls. The batch I just finished I also crushed up some Chinese red yeast. Should be a interesting experience!

image-2601025133.jpg

image-1548495214.jpg

I'm drinking my first batch right now. It's cold from the fridge and very crisp. Does anyone else have some fizz in theirs?

I couldn't wait to get this started along with various other brews for my wedding in May. Decided to make a nice sized test batch!

ricewine.jpg

10 cups of sweet sticky rice made in 2 batches with 8 yeast balls in a 1 gallon jar I got from the container store.

I'm drinking my first batch right now. It's cold from the fridge and very crisp. Does anyone else have some fizz in theirs?

After the rice material settled on the bottom of the bottom, it would occasionally seem to fizz a little when bumped. Sometimes carrying a bunch of clumps of rice stuff to the top. After I pasteurized it, it seemed to stop that.

It sounds like you got hit by a big ol' whiff of carbon dioxide and alcohol. That can't be pleasant. I'm sure it will be fine. Mine smelled very alcoholic.

Let's hope you're right, Bomber. I'd hate to waste that much rice (and time).

So my yeast balls came in the mail today. Unfortunately I'm going on vacation for the next 10 days starting tomorrow. While I'd like to watch and document my first batch, do you guys think its ok to start this tonight and leave it unsupervised for 10 days?

I know this is an old post but I see you ordered yours in the mail and wanted to let you know that there's a place that sells them and it's about a 20-25 mile drive from Newark. Always looking to help out.

Map.jpg

There's a Kam Man in NJ, they carry everything in this thread. Can't tell if that's what you just said, but if so apologies.

Yes, It keeps fermenting for a while so can kind of carb up. Pasteurization stops this i it bothers you. I kind of like it! lol

I couldn't wait to get this started along with various other brews for my wedding in May. Decided to make a nice sized test batch!

10 cups of sweet sticky rice made in 2 batches with 8 yeast balls in a 1 gallon jar I got from the container store.

That looks pretty "gooey". What water to rice ratio did you use? I hope it turns out great for you but it seems like the people using high water content have had less success.

So I just harvested a little over 1 liter from 5 cups dry using 1:1 ratio. For those of you concerned about temps, I sat a min/max thermometer next to my jug. Min: 62.3 F; Max: 70.9 F. The peak was reached towards the end of the fermentation on a warm day, so I'm guessing it hovered around 65 F most of the time. And it still tastes great!

sonofgrok said:
Yes, It keeps fermenting for a while so can kind of carb up. Pasteurization stops this i it bothers you. I kind of like it! lol

That looks pretty "gooey". What water to rice ratio did you use? I hope it turns out great for you but it seems like the people using high water content have had less success.

Mine carbs up a bit too but also like it
Left for a week a bad came back and the cork popped like champagne
So either drink it up and remember to pop the cork every once in a while to release pressure unless ya pasteurize

Mine carbs up a bit too but also like it
Left for a week a bad came back and the cork popped like champagne
So either drink it up and remember to pop the cork every once in a while to release pressure unless ya pasteurize

I didnt pasteurize my cleared grapefruit version and the light carbonation makes it better

jak1010 said:
I know this is an old post but I see you ordered yours in the mail and wanted to let you know that there's a place that sells them and it's about a 20-25 mile drive from Newark. Always looking to help out.

Ah awesome! And I'll actually be heading up to Paramus next weekend. Do you happen to know the name of the place? Thanks for lookin out!

Transfer to a storage container... anything should work. I used a funnel to pour it into a 500mL cobalt bottle... cause they are sexy.

Just bought some cobalt 375ml hock bottles for bottling my rice wine cause that are indeed sexy. Harvest next weekend. Was considering the pomegranate. Did you think it was a good compliment?
Had some coconut custard pie last night. How about a lil touch of coco lopes added to straining bag at harvest?

I bottled my scaled up batch this morning (three 1L bottles exactly). Accidentally burned the rice back when I was cooking it but it doesn't seem to have affected the flavor/aroma of the wine. Call it biscuit rice.

For some reason I couldn't get the cheesecloth to strain without causing a mess this time around....

So I used a very simple rotating flour sifter (like this) to separate the liquid from the remaining solids. I imagine there's higher solid content now in the final product but that's where a lot of the flavor lies.

This method was very effective and pretty mess-free compared to straining with a cheesecloth by hand. The remaining solids left behind don't go through the sifter as the centerpiece rotates but gets mixed up into a ball.

Just bought some cobalt 375ml hock bottles for bottling my rice wine cause that are indeed sexy. Harvest next weekend. Was considering the pomegranate. Did you think it was a good compliment?
Had some coconut custard pie last night. How about a lil touch of coco lopes added to straining bag at harvest?

The pomegranate was pretty awesome. Reminding me of a Starburst candy when I drank it.

As for pkrath84
My rice wine attempt started just as gooey or more so and so far looks to be doing pretty well. We'll see in 10 more days or so.
That being said, I will use less water next time.
Pics are from day 0 and today, day 10.

rice wine 0 days.jpg

rice wine 10 days.jpg

I've got a spiced one going now with ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and turmeric. I'll share the results when the time comes.

As for pkrath84
My rice wine attempt started just as gooey or more so and so far looks to be doing pretty well. We'll see in 10 more days or so.
That being said, I will use less water next time.
Pics are from day 0 and today, day 10.
It's probably the type of rice more then anything. The Japanese sweet rice I used turned into a giant rice bogey. It was cooked with a 1:1 ratio. Though it was soaked beforehand too.

Did anyone else measure the ABV of the finished product? I just racked mine off into glass carboys for secondary fermentation, measuring about 13%... just wondering what you guys are getting.

20130330_223339.jpg

I got my rice steamer yesterday and cranked off 2 batches. 6 cups Jasmin rice and 3 yeast balls each.
Lets see what happens
I have never used a rice steamer before, this thing is pretty impressive. moderately priced as steamers go, I say a bunch well over $200, this one was under $100. It has 3 steamer pans and will probably run a bigger batch that 6 cups. Next time after seeing how this goes.

How do you know what the OG was?

I measured the starch water drained off the bottom of my rice "steamer" at 65F, then the finished rice wine with particulates at the same temp. It's prolly not perfect, but after straining out the solids (mostly) it's the best I can do.... it tastes about 13% too... I usually work with ferments meant for... further processing... most of my "beers" don't taste this good, but it' got a good burn too it, warms you right up. If you can think of a better way, I'm all ears.... this won't be my last batch! There is a method that involves measuring, boiling it off, then adding water to make the same volume, and remeasuring, but this way seems about as precise, and easier too... I almost always go with easier. Plus the thought of boiling off that poor sweet innocent booze is just awful.
Edit - I don't know how you could get the OG on these "dry" batches, my recipe involved added water. The starchy water method will prolly work, but some people won't even have that.

8 days later, and I can't see anything happening. Nor does it really smell like anythig except cooked, jasmine rice... Any thoughts?

So I am throwing my hat into this. I used my iodophored Mr beer fermenter, about 8 cups of steamed jasmine rice, and 4 Vietnamese yeast balls.

My process was to first rinse then soak the rice for 2 hours, then put in cooker until done. I am essentially making the rice the same way that I make it when I eat it. I then take the rice out to cool, covered. Meanwhile, I pulverized the balls (shudders) in the food ninja (waited until wife went to bed to avoid inquiry) Then I spooned in rice and yeast and then mixed it in by hand. I just sealed it normally without cheese cloth. I feel the gap already in the Mr Beer lid to vent C02 should be adequate. This all went into a warm dark closet. I have made a pact with myself not to even peek until 1 month!

So 23 days later, I dump this into a bag and strainer and after squeezing like it owed me money, I have 2 tablespoons of boozy thick white syrup. It doesn't really smell bad, just kind of alcohol/hot.... (I did pasteurize and cap it off just for the fun of it, and will taste tomorrow... I am especially disappointed since I have lived in South East Asia for years, and really wanted to hit a home run since I have had all kinds of homebrew rice wine, coconut wine, etc... For the record, the yeast balls list "Saccharomyces" in the translated ingredient list after further investigation. Did I just stumble upon the Vietnamese version of a fermentis product or is everyone brewing this with some form of a sacc strain? (i thought there were going to be spores and other stuff as well...

What do you think I did wrong?

So 23 days later, I dump this into a bag and strainer and after squeezing like it owed me money, I have 2 tablespoons of boozy thick white syrup. It doesn't really smell bad, just kind of alcohol/hot.... (I did pasteurize and cap it off just for the fun of it, and will taste tomorrow... I am especially disappointed since I have lived in South East Asia for years, and really wanted to hit a home run since I have had all kinds of homebrew rice wine, coconut wine, etc... For the record, the yeast balls list "Saccharomyces" in the translated ingredient list after further investigation. Did I just stumble upon the Vietnamese version of a fermentis product or is everyone brewing this with some form of a sacc strain? (i thought there were going to be spores and other stuff as well...

If you got two tablespoons only Id say you probably used the wrong yeast balls.

The only thing I can imagine is that perhaps the yeast was dead? If it hit 105F+ in transit that would likely kill it.
They were the 10gm balls?

Also, this method can be used to determine an approximate ACV of finished product, just try to leave all solids out of the sample... This was developed by William Honeyman, BS, PhD and was published in The Art of Mking Wine by Stanley Anderson and Raymond Hull. (I have paraphrased and listed metric units as well as English units.)

1. Measure the SG of the finished wine. This will be SG1. 2. Measure out exactly one pint (or 500 ml) of the wine. This is the "Sample." 3. In an enameled or glass pan, boil the sample until it is exactly 1/2 its original volume, i.e. 1/2 pint (or 250 ml). What had been reduced in this process is some of the water and ALL of the alcohol, because alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water, about 173 degress F (78 degrees C) for alcohol vs. 212 degrees F (100 degrees C) for water. 4. Using distilled water make the sample back to the original volume, i.e. 1 pint (or 500 ml). 5. Cool the sample to the temperatrue for which your hydrometer is calibrated and measure the SG of the sample now. You should get a higher reading (now that all the alcohol is gone). This will be SG2. 6. Find the difference between the SG2 and SG1, which we will call the "spirit indication" and read the ABV from the following where the first number is the difference in SG (spirit indication) and the second is ABV:

1.5=1%, 2=1.3%, 3=2%, 4=2.7%, 5=3.4%, 6=4.1%, 7=4.9%, 8=5.6%, 9=6.4%, 10=7.2%, 11=8.0%, 12=8.8%, 13=9.7%, 14=10.5%, 15=11.4%, 16=12.3%, 17=13.2%, 18=14.1%, 19= 15.1%, 20=16%, 21=17%., 22=18%, 23=19%, 24=20%, 25=21%, 26=22%

If they were the right ones, then the rice might have been to warm. The batches that have worked the best for me have been left to cool overnight before adding the crushed yeast balls.

Thanks for your replies saramc and demonslick,
Well, I went ahead and got some koji from the supermarket. I Boiled 500 grams of our local japanese sticky rice, yesterday evening, kept it fairly wet, cooled it until 37celsius and mixed in 100 grams of koji. After about 2 hours it was already liquifying and tasting a bit sweet. I decided it was time to pitch the yeast. had some champagne yeast in the fridge. Pitched it and before I went to bed checked it and it was already fermenting. I' m surprised by the speed thing are happening! Today, only 24 hours after starting my batch it already has quite an alcoholic taste and is completely liquid. I just keep wondering how my champagne yeast differs from the chinese yeast balls in taste. I guess champagne yeast dries it out more than the chinese yeast? Wish I could get my hands on some of those balls...

Can't rule it out as I haven't seen anyone using them here. Though they look to be the same size and basic look of the ones shown here.

The only thing I can imagine is that perhaps the yeast was dead? If it hit 105F+ in transit that would likely kill it.
They were the 10gm balls?

They were ..ahem... pretty good sized balls.. Like the appropriate ones in the pics in this thread. I bet my rice was hot though... Impatience...

If they were the right ones, then the rice might have been to warm. The batches that have worked the best for me have been left to cool overnight before adding the crushed yeast balls.

I think we are on to something here.

I would agree with others that either a) you got no good yeast/amylase activity out of the balls or b) the yeast were murdered in the prep by heat or possibly food ninjas (those sound dangerous :D)

I wish I could blame the ninjas, but my rice was still hot I think.

Thanks everyone, I'll try again.

If you live near Durham, NC then you're in luck. :ban: Li Ming's Global Mart asian supermarket has all of the ingredients needed. The store occupies what was previously a Circuit City- it's huge. Like an Asian Super Wal-Mart. They have pallets and pallets of rice in 15-50 pound bags of all varieties up front near the registers. There is an aisle near the back though that has what we're looking for. Maybe a dozen or more brands of sweet rice. I bought Hakubai brand as it says specifically: Ingredients - Glutinous milled rice. It has a high polish to it, almost spherical and is opaque white, not like the clearish sushi rice. Five pound bag was about 7 dollars.

The yeast balls are in a plain cardboard box on the shelf, labeled only 2/ $1.00. They are 2-ball packs in clear cellophane with red writing. Also found on the shelf is a large quantity of red yeast rice in 400g bags, cost $1.99.

My first batch is now two weeks in. I started with 4.5 cups(2 pounds), dry rice. Rinsed once under tap water, drained, then soaked with enough bottled water (from 5 gal jug, Primo brand) to cover for one hour. It expanded to 1.5x volume.

Drained the soaked rice, reserved the liquid. Cooked in 6qt stainless dutch oven pan, total of 7 cups (including the reserved liquid) water, brought to a boil, then low heat until cooked. I put the pan, lid on, onto a cooling rack for most of the day until the temp was down to close to ambient, maybe still just a little warm. By my rough mental math, the overall rice to water ratio is 1:1.5, including the volume absorbed during the soak. I imagine some of it must have steamed away during cooking, so I feel that it is in the ballpark of acceptable ratios discussed in this thread.

Crushed up two 2-ball packs of yeast with a rolling pin, being mindful of not rupturing the package. The plastic is actually quite tough. Added to the cooled rice gradually while stirring with a sanitized stainless steel spoon. It was a thick, sticky mess. Didn't seem wet at all.

Rice+yeast was split into two half gallon sized wide mouth mason jars, washed well and swished with some no-rinse sanitizer. Filled each one up to the 6 cup line: three quarters full.

By 24 hrs, liquefaction of the rice was evident. Ambient temps in the house were only about 65f. Placed on the heat register, by 48hrs an inch of liquid was in the bottom. After a week, half of the mass was liquid. Pressure was evident at this point, lide were left just slightly loose. Aggressive co2 bubbles observable for the past week, still going strong today.

Can hardly wait to try it, smells pleasant. Another batch going today, may add some red yeast rice for comparison. I'll try to get some pics.

I'm about 3 weeks in and things are looking pretty good. I'll post a photo later. I used one cup gultinous rice and 4 cups Jasmine rice. I made 2 batches, one plain and one I cooked with 10 bags of Oolong tea.

After soaking for about 2 hours and rinsing a lot (that is the worst part) I cooked it with a 1 to 1 water/rice ratio. After cooling the rice a bit I used two 1 gallon drink containers from Target (clear plastic, with monkeys, and a small spigot) alternating a layer of rice then 2 crushed yeast balls. I used 6 total yeast balls. Then under the towel in the dining room they went. It took a while to get started but now there's about 2 inched of liquid on the bottom floating the rice.

Both have a little bit of white mold and both smell like young wine. I drew off a little of the plain batch and put it in the fridge overnight on Saturday. I tasted it yesterday and it's pretty good! I think I'll need to either add a flavor to the whole thing though or find a way to add to individual drinks.

Back