Does anyone use BUD or BUDLIGHT bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
I know they are screw offs//// but its hard to get good bottles .....
anyone use these??....i use magic hat#9 bottles .....
i alwasy thought they were pop off..... and they keep the beer good..

alot better than amstel and heineken bottles

I've used the 7oz pony bottles for a tester bottle before, it was twist off and worked fine. Just torque those caps on tight, your hand and a piece of leather is ideal. Then use your capper and go over it again to complete the seal.

To the original question, No! This is a disgrace to your beautiful homebrew. The beer gods will have their way with you.:D When I first started brewing I bought a case of botttles at the homebrew store, then everybody "had" to try my beer. Then I was out of bottles again. I went to the recycle center (drop off station) over the course of a few weeks and picked up quite a few bottles. I hit the jackpot one night. I found about 40 of the small Coca-cola bottles. I was not sure if they would work, but most of them did. I don't know if it was because they were really old or what , but some just would not cap.
Most people do advise against using twist off's though. If the recycle center won't work, just spread the word to all your buddy's, you'll end up with plenty.
If you are in KY soon I'll give you about 150 Sam Adams

Go to your local bar or brew pub. Ask the bartenders or owners to save some "pop top" bottles. Or see when it's a good time to come by and sort through their recycling bin. It may take a few trips but it may be worth the effort to score on cheap and free used bottles. Doesn't hurt to ask!

If you buy decent store bought good beer you should have more than enough to bottle with...

...I drink more than I should

I've used a few twist offs on some beers by accident...Sometimes they sealed fine, sometimes they didn't seal at all.

Not specificly bud bottles but yeah I use twist offs...

the trick is to use a bench capper. I got mine on ebay for like $20 shipped. The thing is like 87yrs old too

the_Roqk said:
Go to your local bar or brew pub. Ask the bartenders or owners to save some "pop top" bottles. Or see when it's a good time to come by and sort through their recycling bin. It may take a few trips but it may be worth the effort to score on cheap and free used bottles. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Thats what I do. A bar and a bowling alley near where I live save me all their Corona/Corona Light bottles.

That and save capable bottles. IBC Rootbeer bottles are great, and they cost less than new bottles from the brew store plus they're filled with rootbeer! Buy your bottles at the grocery store and get rootbeer, cream soda, or orange drink for free!

Heineken Bottles for some reason don't seal well, the top of the bottle is not the right shape for my bottle capper - YMMV

WARNING!!

Do NOT use Bud or Bud Light bottles... Several years ago we bottled in twist-offs for a few years (middle of nowhere, pry-offs were hard to find, poor, etc.) and if you have the right capper it works just fine. Had 1, or maybe 2 bad bottles the entire time (probably due to sanitary conditions... they weren't exactly flat).

However, I believe it was the Bud bottles (just maybe Coors) that cracked or shattered on almost every capping! Dangerous. The neck is just too weak. If you hold it up to the light (empty w/o label) it was more of a golden-brown than brown, and had 2 really poor molding seam lines on the sides. Whichever it is, don't use that one -- I doubt they've changed.

But every other twist-off worked great with our cheap wing (not the spendy one, oddly) bottle capper by capping firmly, rotating 90° and pressing again.

Good luck! (But I'd recommend using the money you saved to buy these (post #6):
http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewtopic.php?p=181641&sid=b38167f45c69e5ca563d4802c878c300

$42 for 20 really nice, thick 33oz swing-top bottles from koch-usa. I have one of their growlers and it is nice and tough. If they ever wear out, new rubber gaskets are basically free. You'll have to put in with some friends, though as the shipping ain't cheap and it's $150 minimum.

Just don't try to cap the ones described above, seriously. My friend almost had a shiv of broken glass through his wrist from one shearing open whilst capping. Not worth it.

the only bottle i ever broke with my wing capper was a bud light.
i weighed them and they are about 1/3 lighter than the brown returnable bottles in canada.
i have since bought a bench capper and it works great on twist-offs(over 1,000 capped and no failures) but i still reject bud light bottles to be safe.

I bottled two weeks ago a batch and within the 43 bottles were 39 Bud Light. No problems as of now; however, I would not recommend using them either. If you get your hands on something else, keep away from twist-off.

I was able to purchase 40 20oz swing-top bottles from local liquor store for 1.25/each. Each bottle came with a bonus too. 20oz of free beer in each bottle! Woot! Seriously though, every once in a while you'll find a good liquor store that is ridding of overstock at low prices. This is how I usually stock my bottle supply.

uniconfis said:
I was able to purchase 40 20oz swing-top bottles from local liquor store for 1.25/each. Each bottle came with a bonus too. 20oz of free beer in each bottle! Woot! Seriously though, every once in a while you'll find a good liquor store that is ridding of overstock at low prices. This is how I usually stock my bottle supply.

wow thats a great find

Mutilated1 said:
wow thats a great find

Yeah, the store is called Zipps in Mpls. I've never seen another store with better deals. Another great deal they had for a month was a case of Red Stripe for $18. Got a lot of those bottles now.

Back