Eis beer questions... Has anyone attempted it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockwes

Reaction score
A few weeks back I was lucky enough to taste a Dave from hair of the dog brewing. For anyone who is not familiar with it, it is a eisadam. My understanding is that the brewer, Alan Sprints, took 300 gal of his amazing adambier and via partial freezing removed 200 gal of ice crystals leaving him with 100 gal of 29% glory. It was by far the most unique and amazing thing I have ever tasted. Reading more about this method I have encountered lots of possible procedures for producing such a beer.

I have been bitten by the barrel bug and currently have several monster beers ageing in oak barrels. One project that recently wraped up was a 12% ris that spent about 2 years in a barrel and came out excellent! I have a extra Sankee full of it that seems like a prime candidate for eis distillation. If I am shooting for 30%abv my research says I should. be able to get 5 gal or so outta it.

Before I risk destroying this beer, I am curious if anyone has attempted this and how they went about it... I have access to a -15F freezer that will hold any and everything I throw at it so the cooling shoudent be a issue as well as more Sankee or corny kegs. Any insite would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

^^^ Ha. I came here just so I could post that BTV episode. It's good information! Episode #60 is the one you want.

Latest posts

Back