Making the Switch To Metric!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
Who's with me????

I just realized how much easier it is if I change all of my measurements into metric.

Especially hops, if I need to adjust for Alpha Acid content I scale it using beer smith and then it gives me a workable (and accurate) amount.

corax said:
I don't see how it's easier (or more accurate) one way or the other. Just different constants in the equations.

1 gram = .0353 ounces

I guess your right about the accuracy (except I round more often with ounces) but its a lot easier to look at....

Well I´m a metric user and for me metric system just makes a lot more sense. Even british have move to metric.

I'm all for it. Metric is much easier

1L of Water = 1kg

Have you ever tried to measure 1.6lbs of grain on a US LBS scale? Its a pain.
1.6kg on a kg scale is much easier.

I don't know the formulas but its much easier to calculate thermal mass and mashtun heat absorption if you use Celsius, Liters and Kg.

Easier for STC-1000 users too. And for using all of Kaiser's sheets.

Obliviousbrew said:
Well I´m a metric user and for me metric system just makes a lot more sense. Even british have move to metric.

There you go OP. Move to England and your problems are solved.

If you go metric, the constants largely disappear. Once you get used to it, there is no need for conversion. A liter is a big quart. A meter is a big yard. Temperature is a little odd. The local rednecks are not going to like complaining about 40(104F) degree weather.

I strike at 70, set the oven to 200F (stupid oven) It takes an hour for the mash to go from 65 to 70. Ferment at18, serve at 5 or so.

I do 19L batches that boil down to 16 or 17. A traditional English pint is 568ml, not the 350 or so we get in our little “pint” glasses.

It’s embarrassing to be virtually the only country using a measuring system that has been obsolete for a century.

how and why is is "obsolete", exactly?

Every system it´s dogmatic there is not a reason in nature that tells that a yard or a meter should measure what they measure. It´s like a language: a convention that a group of people share. Now the main difference between both systems it´s that metric system it´s decimal and therefore natural for the way everybody understands math. Even in the US the way to understand numbers it´s based in a decimal scale: same than metric. How much a kilogram is? easy kilo=one thousand kilogram= one thousand grams. One liter of water it´s one kilogram, one meter it´s 100 centimiters. Measures are easy to convert... it´s easy and IMHO BETTER.
Besides there is only three countrys in the world that use the old system: USA Liberia and MYanmar...

Who's with me????

I just realized how much easier it is if I change all of my measurements into metric.

Especially hops, if I need to adjust for Alpha Acid content I scale it using beer smith and then it gives me a workable (and accurate) amount.

I´m with you by the way

It’s obsolete because we’re (almost) the only ones that use it.

According to the CIA Factbook only Burma (Myanmar), Liberia, and the United States have yet to adopt the International System of Units as their official system of measurement.[2][3] The actual situation, however, is more complicated than the CIA Factbook's listing would suggest.

In the United Kingdom, for example, although metric is the official system for most regulated trading by weight or measure purposes, the pint is the official unit for milk in returnable bottles and for draught beer and cider in British pubs, and miles, yards and feet remain the official units for road signage.

Some sources identify Liberia as metric while reports from Burma suggest that that country is planning to adopt the metric system. However, they all have adopted metric measures to some degree through international trade and standardisation[3] for example, Sierra Leone switched to selling fuel by the litre in May 2011.[4] The United States mandated the acceptance of the metric system in 1866 for commercial and legal proceedings, without displacing their customary units.[5]
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication

We're America, the best country in the world. We do things our way and ain't no xeno gonna tell me how to measure my stuff.

Maybe the rest of the world are the dumb ones. They couldn't understand the nuance of our system so they settled for a super simple one.

TyTanium said:
We're America, the best country in the world. We do things our way and ain't no xeno gonna tell me how to measure my stuff.

Maybe the rest of the world are the dumb ones. They couldn't understand the nuance of our system so they settled for a super simple one.

This is by far the best example of American ignorance. I use the English system of ounces, pounds and feet but the metric system is easier and more scientifically accurate. The metric system is based off of a standard unit of measure where as the English system is based off of nothing of any significance. Thanks for representing you redneck

Well first of all I don´t think that anyone here call american dumbs. So please do not tell me that I am... I just say what I think in a polite manner... and I expect the same in return.
And you can measure your stuff the way you want it... we don´t actually care

I opt for the more accurate measure. I measure my grain bill and hops in kg/g because it is much easier to measure an accurate 15g instead of 0.529oz. I mash at 155F because the standard 68C is a few degrees of control off of Fahrenheit.

Besides, if you listen to Can You Brew It, most brewers give recipes in percentages. It is easy to convert percentages to kg and not deal with 1lb=16oz and 1g=4qt=8pt=128oz.

In any case, I buy my grain by the pound, hops by the ounce, and drink my beers by the pint - regardless of whether it is an American or Imperial pint.

I opt for the more accurate measure. I measure my grain bill and hops in kg/g because it is much easier to measure an accurate 15g instead of 0.529oz.

that's interesting, because i measure in lb/oz cause it's easier to measure an accurate 4oz instead of 113.398 grams......

wait that's not interesting at all.

do people really not see how invalid this argument is?

What about a poll so we can know what everyone thinks about metric vs nosense I mean imperial? america? how in the hell your way of measuring things it´s called?
anglosaxon?

also we must petition the world to stop using hexidecimal. base 16? nobody's smart enough to figure that out!

base 10 or no base! amirite!? eh comrades!??!

Well I think I’ll pour me a 354.88235475mL (12 fluid oz) beer. You guys do know about significant figures, don’t you?

Ty, I got it. We enjoy stupid conversions because we’re smart.

Obeesbrew said “the English system is based off of nothing of any significance.” Not true! 1 foot= 36 barleycorns

Obliviousbrew, it’s officially called the “because US congressman don’t have the balls to annoy the old people stupid and cumbersome US system.” We couldn’t stand being the same as the Brits so there were a few arbitrary changes made.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units

I'm all for using metric, only I don't like it for weather temps. Fahrenheit was designed specifically for measuring outside temperatures and I think is better than metric for that specific purpose. Temps can accurately be described using whole numbers, and the range from 0-100 is well suited to the temps most of us live in. Sure, sometimes it gets down to -10 or up to 110 (or less, or more) but we have a scale that fits weather as well as Celsius measures liquid temps from freezing to boiling. Now liquid temps, metric is damn near the perfect system.

I personally, as a chemist, use both systems - grams for hops and lbs/ounces for grain (i mean, who really wants to tell someone they are using 10kilos of grain? most average americans would look at you a little funny!)

This is by far the best example of American ignorance. I use the English system of ounces, pounds and feet but the metric system is easier and more scientifically accurate. The metric system is based off of a standard unit of measure where as the English system is based off of nothing of any significance. Thanks for representing you redneck

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

To the point, i'm a rounder. I dont even mess with that half ounce nonsense in regards to hop additions. One or none! Unless its two or three...

For grain, I only go down to 1/4 pound increments. Life's too short to measure out .33oz of hops. Plus hops are delicious and absolutely should be used in high quantities!

also we must petition the world to stop using hexidecimal. base 16? nobody's smart enough to figure that out!

base 10 or no base! amirite!? eh comrades!??!

Just looked this up. Lasted about 10 seconds on the page before I gave up and said to myself "I dont need to understand this; i'm smart just the way I am!". :cross:

Obeesbrew said “the English system is based off of nothing of any significance.” Not true! 1 foot= 36 barleycorns

Damn you and your science

Also I don't look at my desk and say its 36 barleycorns by 36 barleycorns. Barleycorns offer no significance to the measurements

Back