Fruit Beer Wild Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this normal? Seems like tiny bubbles floating on top....

1403266408685.jpg

Looks normal to me, but it's hard to tell what the "bubbles" are. Look at some of the pictures others have posted and see how it compares. I assume this is tertiary?

How necessary is it to go to terrtiary? Could I just rack off berries into corny keg then cold crash and pull 1-2 first pints of sediment off and then carb and enjoy? Just wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How necessary is it to go to terrtiary? Could I just rack off berries into corny keg then cold crash and pull 1-2 first pints of sediment off and then carb and enjoy? Just wondering...

This beer needs a little aging and the tertiary helps with that. You could skip it, but the beer will still need to age awhile.

Can anyone post an exract version of this? Id love to brew it.
Search for the thread called Succulent Strawberry Blonde, from BlueLineBrewer. It is his extract version on which this was based and tweaked.

Aging time now but had to pull a overflow sample! Looking & tasting amazing so far! Hopefully it should be ready by the 4th!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403586774.663755.jpg

My wife is doing a fundraiser for breast cancer and this beer looks like it would fit right in. Does it always come out as pink as nextgen's photo?

I just finished filtering mine at .5 microns. I think next time I won't filter so fine. I like my beer filtered, it's just my preference. I cannot wait to see how this tastes in a few more weeks. So far it tastes good just young and I never carbed it yet.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403677147.615085.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403677167.142550.jpg

My wife is doing a fundraiser for breast cancer and this beer looks like it would fit right in. Does it always come out as pink as nextgen's photo?

If you use frozen berries, there is a lretty good chance it will be sorta pink. But hey, it's a breast cancer event. Pink would be perfect!

Definitely want the pink color for that reason! Wish I got on this earlier. She needed it for the end of July!

Be careful with the frozen strawberries. I just made this using frozen strawberries and it came out out sour and a strong grapefruit flavor

I bottled this batch tonight. Seven days on primary with safale 05. Seven days on three pounds of fresh strawberries then cold crash. Then bottle. The flat final sample finished up with 5.4 abv . I'm glad I went with the fresh Strawberry's. You can definitely taste them! They come thru great... And leaves a fresh strawberry scent /aftertastewithevery swallow! I can't wait for it to carb up!

Put 6 gallons into tertiary today after 7 days on 9lb strawberries. Noticed a very tart taste, almost sour. Lots of dry strawberry taste but it's in the background. Does that mellow with time or does it have a strong tartness after carbing/aging?

Just racked mine today and I noticed the same thing very tart almost fruit wine type of flavor (not what I was going for) I'm glad to hear it dissipates

The tart/sour flavor seems to be common as I just made this about 2 months ago. I also bottled it and the tartness did mellow a bit but is definitely still there. Its not a bad beer but I would not make it again unless I tried another fruit like blackberry, raspberry, or blueberry. I think strawberries put off too dry of a taste and can become sour.

Mine have been in the bottle nine days. Cracked one open just now after a day in the fridge. Carbed up a little. So far. Tasted more strawberry when I was bottling it. It's a bit tart. Didn't get a pink color tho. I will re visit in another ten days.

i got a very distinct pink color and its a bit tart as well. Still a pretty decent summer beer though!!

I got mine all carbed up. It's slightly pinkish and a bit tart but I like it. I used 8lbs of fresh strawberries.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404862119.143509.jpg

Fresh strawberries are the way to go. They will reduce the pinkness. The tartness is just part of this beer but it does disapate with age. Glad you guys like it!

So i left my beer on the table for a few minutes and it seemed to settle out.....anyone have issues with cloudiness? It looked a bit cloudy when i transfered the beer into the keg, but i just thought it was normal....heres a pic of the cloudiness

strawberry blonde.jpg

I think I may brew it again with blueberry's - has anyone tried this? How much blueberry do you think?

Finally got a keg in my keezer carbing up. 1 day at 30psi and had to pull a sample!! Barely any tartness at all, tastes amazing so far can't wait till this weekend when it should be ready to party!

I would use fresh. The only reason inused frozen for the blackberry, was lack if time. Buy fresh. Put them in freezer bag and freeze them for a couple of days. Add those to the beer.

I was really surprised by the difference between fresh and frozen berries (of whatever kind - I've used a few different with same base). People even comment on the brightness of flavor before I get to tell them that they are fresh. Too bad the local berry season is finishing up.

Fresh strawberries are the way to go. They will reduce the pinkness. The tartness is just part of this beer but it does disapate with age. Glad you guys like it!

Mine had no pink ish to it. I used three pounds on a three gallon batch . fresh strawberries.

I will put one in the fridge tonight and get a picture tomorrow.

I just brewed this again yesterday and I got this weird sponge like clouds floating near the surface. Is this bad? Its only been about 15 hours since pitching the yeast.

1409493066524.jpg

That is wierd looking. Is it lighting, or is the beer really dark? Did u add strawberries before you pitched? Something going on there but i cant tell you what it is.

No strawberries yet. Its just the base beer and its been less than 24 hours of pitching the yeast

Ive had some yeast coagulate like that before but not S-05, to the best of my memory. I wouldnt worry about it. Let it ferment. At what temp did you pitch and what yeast did you use? What temp is the wort now?

Back