Why use fermentation lock if you have a blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensington

Reaction score
Why would you bother going about sanitizing another piece of equipment and letting the fermenting beer touch the air just to affix a fermentation lock if you already have a blowoff tube in place?

Why would you need to replace a blow-off tube with an airlock? If that's your question, I have done it as a matter of not having the tube lying around with pets in the house, I don't want to run the risk of having one of them get curious. It's no big deal. There is a layer of co2 that "sits" on top of your beer. It's not like there is going to be a ton of exposure if you take the blowoff tube out and replace it with an airlock

loop.

If the blowoff tube doesn't get in the way, you don't need to mess with it. If it is in the way, replace it. I sometimes leave it in place for the entire fermentation process. If I need to move the fermenter, I will then stick an airlock on it. Other times, I replace it because I need it for another beer. Replacing it doesn't matter one way or another for the beer. It's just a matter of convenience.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Kensington said:
Why would you bother going about sanitizing another piece of equipment and letting the fermenting beer touch the air just to affix a fermentation lock if you already have a blowoff tube in place?

I use just a 1 inch tube as a blowoff so I dont get a great seal, or I get a better seal with a proper airlock. I imagine when the blowoff is in use its high kreusen so mad c02 is escaping and the beer is better protected then after the head falls and the c02 slows down. Youd be fine either way I suppose.

Back