question about wort chiller vinyl hose ends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
having been into the beer making addiction for the past 4 months, im about to buy a wort chiller.

im seeing a lot of the ones that come with a couple feet of vinyl hose that have a hose attachment on the end.

i dont have a laundry tub or sink that has a hose fitting at all.

what are the other alternatives i could use if i dont have a kitchen sink that has a hose fitting on the end?

i guess i could take the end and hold it against the end of the sink faucet, but that wouldnt be very fun sitting there for 10 mintutes.

any suggestions?

i could use the hose fitting outside but we got 8 inches of snow yesterday and we're in the middle of winter. not very warm outside.

I use a bottling bucket and a submersible pump. I fill the bucket with cold water, put the pump in, then recirculate the water. I add snow to bucket as needed and open the spigot to make room for the added water (melted snow). Total water consumption is about 2.5 gal and takes less than 8 min to get down to pitching temps. Of course, snow is a necessary element of this setup.

I do the same thing, in the summer months I have frozen buckets of water to substitute for the snow.

Any hardware store will have a garden hose to sink adapter. Many online homebrew shops will offer it as an extra for a wort chiller. Just a few bucks.

what are the other alternatives i could use if i dont have a kitchen sink that has a hose fitting on the end?

i guess i could take the end and hold it against the end of the sink faucet, but that wouldnt be very fun sitting there for 10 mintutes.

Any homebrew store should have a faucet adaptor. You'll need to unscrew your current faucet aerator and screw in the adaptor. I use one of those $0.99 rubber jar opener things to get a grip.

Faucet adaptor should cost you a couple bucks and the jar opener should be a buck (try a dollar store or something).

You won't want to hold it against the sink faucet...you'll very likely get soaked. And it will take longer than 10 minutes unless your water is super cold.

Not all kitchen sink faucets are adaptable. I'd put a Tee or dual outlet stop valve under the sink to hook up your hose.

yeah, i dont think mine would be adaptable. Its one of those "fancy" kind that have the sprayer thats built in, but also detaches if you want. i

but thanks for the addition info. there's plenty of snow to use for now.

Back