Carboy Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Hand

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using one of my 5 gal glass carboys as my primary, so I can enjoy the show of course. Do I need to set up a blow off tube or can I just use an airlock?

Use the blow off tube. Better safe than sorry. You can switch it to the airlock after things settle down a bit.

Ize

You'd be better served with a 6.5 gallon. If you use a 5 you greatly increase your odds of getting a blowoff and losing some of your beer.

So if you're so inclined to still use the 5g then definately use a blow off tube.

I'd say get a carboy cap with two ports, so you can have both. A 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy is likely to blow off some - ask me how I know! :D

i would have to second the 6.5 gal carboy. it has saved me from a lot of clean up:mug:

Oh believe me, I agree with going with a 6.5, either glass or BB. But if you want to give it a whirl in the 5, definitely use a blowoff tube to start.

OTOH, other than a blow, are there other concerns with using just a 5? Gonna be snug. Any possible negative effects on the brew?

(sorry to thread jack briefly coolhand. :eek: )

Ize

Thanks for the advice all, I got myself a 6.5er and a blow off set up. For the other end of the BO tube, I just put it in a bucket of water? Sanitizer? Cheap Vodka?

You're gonna be a lot happier with the 6.5. Carboy, Better Bottle or bucket?

Yep, put the end of the blowoff tube in a bucket of sanitized water.

Ize

Ize said:
You're gonna be a lot happier with the 6.5. Carboy, Better Bottle or bucket?

I got a glass Carboy. What are the advantages to using this instead of a bucket?

Cool Hand said:
I got a glass Carboy. What are the advantages to using this instead of a bucket?

I'm pretty new to brewing, but from what I've been reading, glass carboys do not retain any smell or color from any brew, or cleaning product.

That and you can watch what's going on inside the fermenter :)

I am fermenting a brew ATM in a 7 gallon plastic bucket and if I didn't have a blowoff tube on it, it would have painted the wall and ceiling of my basement with yeast and trub, not to mention cover a lot of my grain supply.

I usually use a 5 Gal carboy for primary, and I usually use a blow off tube into a bucket of leftover sanitizer. I use the 5 gal carboy's because I used to use plastic for primary and carboy for 2ndary - but the buckets got pretty beat up, so I switched to all carboy.

How often do you change the blow-off water if you get a bunch of blow-off material in the water?

Back