Suggested cooler for aquarium heater fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICanHazBeer

Reaction score
Hi!
Was hoping that maybe, just maybe, some would know, first-hand, if a 6.5 gallon glass carboy would work in one of those Igloo Ice Cube 62qt coolers. I also need an HLT and was thinking that would do the trick as well. Maybe someday, use it for keeping the carboy cool. Lid doesn't need to close, I can work around that.

I think someone had said they got a 6 gallon better bottle in there. I guess if nobody has any direct knowledge or experience, I will wander around Walmart with a tape measure and record some data.

Thanks all! I am so glad I found this place! My Coleman Xtreme 70 MLT conversion went off without a hitch thanks to Bargain Fittings. Got everything accept for the HLT and kettle. Waiting on a sale for a 15 gallon Blichmann, LOL!!

~Paul

Sorry, should have made it more clear. My desire is to place my 6.5 gallon carboy filled with 5.25-5.5 gallons of wort into a cooler, hopefully one similar to an Igloo branded Ice Cube cooler. Then I would like to add water to that cooler and utilize an aquarium heater to keep the water at specific temperatures during fermentation.

I don't use a cooler with my aquarium heater. I just opted for the same Rubbermaid tub that I normally store my carboy/ale pails in. Seems to work nicely.

Make sure you run some tests with the heater, as well. The heater is designed to bring the water to a certain degree above ambient (based on the heater's wattage). Then your fermenting beer will arrive at another temperature based on the water bath. It took me 2 full batches to figure out how to get the temperature I needed based on all the different temps.

I don't use a cooler with my aquarium heater. I just opted for the same Rubbermaid tub that I normally store my carboy/ale pails in. Seems to work nicely.

Make sure you run some tests with the heater, as well. The heater is designed to bring the water to a certain degree above ambient (based on the heater's wattage). Then your fermenting beer will arrive at another temperature based on the water bath. It took me 2 full batches to figure out how to get the temperature I needed based on all the different temps.

Thank you for your input! I have a couple rubbermaid tubs that would work, but being cheap, and needing a HLT, I figured I would try the cooler.

I was thinking about using an external temp control, ranco, johnson, etc.

I think I will take a small tape measurer to Walmart and measure cooler. Thanks again!

Back