How long on fruit since it was a slow start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
I started a mead that struggled a little bit to get going. See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/what-yeast-use-161827/ for recipe, and for problems.

In summary, I made the batch last Sunday, pitched the yeast on Tuesday, repitched on Thursday, and finally got activity Sunday.

In my mind, if everything had gone correctly, I would have been racking it off the fruit today, or about 5-7 days after making the batch. Because it didn't start right up, do I leave it alone for a week, or do I still go ahead and yank it? Admittedly, I would think wait, because it is vulnerable at the moment, but maybe sitting on the fruit that long isn't good, either, as the fruit could start decomposing or something without the nice CO2 blanket.

Hi CWP, I have a white wine pyment in the works that I racked onto some Peach Puree. The guy who owns the LHBS I frequent, and whose advice I respect, advised me to leave it on the fruit for three to four weeks and then taste it to see if it needed more fruit. It was none the worse for wear after four weeks.

However, I am interested in others advice on this subject as well.

I'd just treat it like the fermentation started on the day you pitched the second batch of yeast. A few extra days of soaking (somewhat akin to a cold soak) won't have hurt anything.

Back