Full 60 min boil for only late hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to give a basic answer. The reason for doing 60 min boils is for the following:

1.) hop utilization ie. the longer you boil the more bitterness/flavoring you get from the hops
2.) in most cases you cant extract a proper gravity wort from just mashing. So boiling down some of the water to increase your gravity is necessary.

All grain, I'd be concerned about DMS creation/removal and final volume. A 20-minute boil would only remove 25-30% of the DMS. (wiki).

yes you need to do a full boil time. there is more going on in a boil than just hops isomerization. there are mallard reactions going on in the wart itself. these reactions affect the malt flavor profile of the beer and its color.

From the BJCP Study Guide:

Boiling wort is normally required for the following reasons:

1. Extracts, isomerizes and dissolves the hop α-acids
2. Stops enzymatic activity
3. Kills bacteria, fungi, and wild yeast
4. Coagulates undesired proteins and polyphenols in the hot break
5. Evaporates undesirable harsh hop oils, sulfur compounds, ketones, and esters.
6. Promotes the formation of melanoidins and caramelizes some of the wort sugars (although this is not desirable in all styles)
7. Evaporates water vapor, condensing the wort to the proper volume and gravity (this is not a primary reason, it's a side effect of the process)

1-4 wouldn't be a problem in this case, but 5-7 could.

I'll try to give a basic answer. The reason for doing 60 min boils is for the following:

1.) hop utilization ie. the longer you boil the more bitterness/flavoring you get from the hops
2.) in most cases you cant extract a proper gravity wort from just mashing. So boiling down some of the water to increase your gravity is necessary.

A full 60 min boil is necessary for all grain to cook off the DMS from the grain.

If you were doing an extract then the 20 mins would suffice.

Back