Hops @ 1minute or flameout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
So when i'm done with my 60 minute boil and add my last hops, i then carry pot over to tap and start IC.. I just read that someone waits 30 minutes before starting cool down. I confused here, i just brewed my fifth batch and once I shut off the propane i had my wort cooled to 70 degrees with 30 minutes or less. So if adding hops at flameout are you supposed to let those soak for awhile and then start the cooling? I guess I never thought about it to much.

Not many people wait to start the cool-down. I never have. If you are making a flameout add, leaving the wort at near-boiling temperatures will cause the hop oils to evaporate. It will be much like a flavor add than an aroma add.

I start cooling immediately. To me it doesn't even make sense to have a cooler if you're going to wait to use it.

Kaiser was experimenting with a delayed chilling in order to get a little DMS formation, as he thought his pilsners were too clean, and not authentic in taste.

As far as hop addition timing, for beers I'm going to be lagering and/or aging, I prefer a 5 min. addition over a flameout one. I'm very suspicious that the five min. of boiling helps to stabilize the aroma. Yes, you will lose some aromas, but the ones that you do get are more stable. When I'm making a hoppy ale, I like to use a hopback.

Back