Jumbo Rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
Has any one use them before? Are they worth the extra cost? I am wanting to plant 10 plants and 5 variatys and it seems like bigger the rhizome the better the chance of a first year crop.

Has any one use them before? Are they worth the extra cost? I am wanting to plant 10 plants and 5 variatys and it seems like bigger the rhizome the better the chance of a first year crop.

This is true, but your conditions/care make just as big of a difference. I've not used the "jumbos". I've had good luck growing but the crop has been largely dependent on the weather. For example, we had a couple of storms last June that ripped the growth tips from every bine in my yard. The first year plants grew very well, but they gave me no harvest. The mature plant provided a limited harvest. They all grew very well, but the harvest sucked! If I'd have ponied up for the bigger rhizomes I don't think that the results would have been any different. Much like brewing, growing hops requires patience and being willing to fail occasionally. If you have great conditions I would think that the bigger root cuttings would do better, but for me it's not worth the extra $$.

Its just a older root not really better If any Rhizome has nodes on it ,it will grow. I have Cascades and Chinooks for pre order w discount for group members Glen

bigger the rhizome the better the chance of a first year crop.

This is correct IF it is actually a root and not just a big rhizome. The bine and secondary root growth for the first couple months is largely from stored energy in the root. Some sources have started growing roots.

Back