Computer Programming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
**EDIT: Let me begin by saying that this isn't a school project, this is out of pure curiosity and the reason why I'm looking to do this is below**

Our fire department has software already that we use to sum up our situation before we arrive on-scene, we use On-Scene Xplorer for this, see below:

I'm trying to create a program much like this one: Onscene Xplorer

The on-scene software allows us to store information for the buildings in our first-due area (drawings, what type of suppression system the building has, manager name and phone numbers, etc, etc.). It's a pretty interesting program and is like a fancy version of google maps, or any mapping program just taken a step further.

This software is extremely pricey and I was curious how hard it would be to create a similar program to test on our squad, something perhaps in-house that we could tweak on our own. We do not have satellite service so the GPS functions and internet access based programs will do the squad no good.

Just me thinking outside of the box and seeing how hard it would be to create this type of program.

I want to build a pretty basic program, one that utilizes maps. Type in an address and it takes you there (or roughly where the user asks) and I want to be able to store information about that input (type of home, contacts, names, etc.)

What am I looking at here? What type of programming will I need to accomplish this?

I'm willing to teach myself and learn a few things, but I think I may be going in over my head here.

Wow, this sounds ambitious. Some of the newer contacts stoftware might incorporate maps. And, of course some of the map software will take you there, but probably not keep a contacts list.

You could create an access DB (or any of the big ones) and have a contacts DB for listing these items, and then link images from google maps that you've taken screenshots of. That way you can use the DB to look up the contact according to any of the fields, and the record would also contain the screen shot of the map you previously looked up.

I have used "Print Key" program that I think is free download. You can select a rectangle of the screen instead of full screen. There are likely others out there.

This sounds like a simple Database to create. You'd likely be successful if you follow a couple of tutorials.

You might also have a look here:
http://www.esri.com/

I put myself through college programming GIS applications for the US forestry service, the phone companes, etc... ESRI tools were behind a lot of what I did. Only thing is, while its easy its also expensive - requires a license not only for the tools, but a license for the Tiger data as well.

Google Maps does have a Javascript API and its free, so I'd have to agree with bad_coffee its a good place to start especially if you're a beginner.

Well, the thing is, this all has to be done with no internet access.

Would I be able to use the google maps without access to the web?

BraeHaus,

take a look at Microsoft's Map Point technology. There is an API that you can use to do just what your looking for. Ideally you'd use C# as the programming language, but I think any .NET product will work. The Streets and Maps link given by atarlecky is based on the Map Point SDK.

Wow, you're asking for help with a school programming project at a brewing website??

I thought you were just interested in doing this for fun. If you are actually going to program, then there are a few choices, but M$ lets you interact with several of their softwares if you know one of the C++ laguages or .NET of whatever. It's beyond me, but I'm sure you could manage to get one of their newer mapping softwares integrated with Access.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better served in one of the M$ forums?? People are always asking for that kind of help there. They usually get samples of code to work from too.

Wow, you're asking for help with a school programming project at a brewing website??

I thought you were just interested in doing this for fun. If you are actually going to program, then there are a few choices, but M$ lets you interact with several of their softwares if you know one of the C++ laguages or .NET of whatever. It's beyond me, but I'm sure you could manage to get one of their newer mapping softwares integrated with Access.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better served in one of the M$ forums?? People are always asking for that kind of help there. They usually get samples of code to work from too.

haha, no this isn't for a school project, and yes this is purely for fun.

i've been out of school for quite some time.

I can see this is way over my tinkering and I'm probably going to not pursue this venture any further.

Basically, our fire department has software already that we use to sum up our situation before we arrive on-scene, we use On-Scene Xplorer for this, see below:

I'm trying to create a program much like this one: Onscene Xplorer

The on-scene software allows us to store information for the buildings in our first-due area (drawings, what type of suppression system the building has, manager name and phone numbers, etc, etc.). It's a pretty interesting program and is like a fancy version of google maps, or any mapping program just taken a step further.

This software is extremely pricey and I was curious how hard it would be to create a similar program to test on our squad, something perhaps in-house that we could tweak on our own. We do not have satellite service so the GPS functions and internet access based programs will do the squad no good.

Just me thinking outside of the box and seeing how hard it would be to create this type of program.

This sounds like a simple Database to create. You'd likely be successful if you follow a couple of tutorials.

do you have a link of said tutorials? I'd appreicate anything to continue my curiosity.

Homercidal,

Sorry, but whenever I see "M$" I think of this:

M$.gif

the biggest issue I see is converting the data or designing a program to use the data (maps etc...) that is already formatted for On-Scene Xplorer. but my first reaction would be to look for linux programs that can handle each of the individual functions you need then just write a small program to tie the other programs together.

Thanks for the link! I was searching their site and was getting frustrated not finding anything. Multilated1 and Quixotic, thanks!

the biggest issue I see is converting the data or designing a program to use the data (maps etc...) that is already formatted for On-Scene Xplorer. but my first reaction would be to look for linux programs that can handle each of the individual functions you need then just write a small program to tie the other programs together.

Hrmm, this many sound like and absolute n00b question, but would I be able to run a linux based program in windows?

I'm starting to think that this is way over my head and I'm going to tinker around with the Arc software to see if I can tweak that to my liking.

Thanks for everyone's input!

well there are versions of linux that can run inside windows, but the easiest way would just be to run linux on whatever the machine is. you can also use something like vmware to simulate a computer within windows and run linux in that virtual environment but it tends to run a lot slower than just running linux straight up.

I only thought linux might be easier because it has thousands of small programs that preform a singular task very well and in linux you can tie whichever small programs you need together to make one program that does just about whatever you need.

well there are versions of linux that can run inside windows, but the easiest way would just be to run linux on whatever the machine is. you can also use something like vmware to simulate a computer within windows and run linux in that virtual environment but it tends to run a lot slower than just running linux straight up.

I only thought linux might be easier because it has thousands of small programs that preform a singular task very well and in linux you can tie whichever small programs you need together to make one program that does just about whatever you need.

very cool, I have a desktop and laptop at home that run Linux so it's worth a shot....

i don't mind tinkering with Linux...

i have no experience in programming or any formal training so if I get some time to tinker with it, I'll def give it a go.

Ok, so not a school project. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, but I've seen that plenty before (not here).

As far as internet access, EVDO is getting more popular, and provides internet access via cell phones. So, if there is cell coverage in that area, you *could* access this stuff online.

As far as creating an offline system built in-house, I'm not sure what you would do other than get into some serious amateur programming.

Back