Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
So got done with my first batch and it's been in the bottles for 2.5 weeks. Cracked one open the other day (after putting it in the fridge for a few hours)to test, carbed well and tastes fine (perhaps a little green still). My problem is the head retention. There is pretty much none. Not sure at this point if it's fixable, or if it just take more time in the bottle or whatever. Mainly I'd just like to know what may cause it and how to fix it for future batches. Thanks!

add a pound of flaked barley to your grain bill then stand back as you pour, or get knocked back by that rocky head.

What style of beer is it? Not all styles are supposed to have a lot of head retention; indeed in some styles it is a fault.

With my lagers I use cara-pils for head retention. Flaked barley is an interesting suggestion; I will look into that.

gcdowd said:
So got done with my first batch and it's been in the bottles for 2.5 weeks. Cracked one open the other day (after putting it in the fridge for a few hours)to test, carbed well and tastes fine (perhaps a little green still). My problem is the head retention. There is pretty much none. Not sure at this point if it's fixable, or if it just take more time in the bottle or whatever. Mainly I'd just like to know what may cause it and how to fix it for future batches. Thanks!

Take another one, put in fridge for 2-3 days.that should fix the problem. Beer needs two-three days in the fridge to absorb the CO2.

Ok, I thought some more time in the fridge would fix it (will definitely do that). It was an Amber Ale (from an extract kit)...pretty basic beer.

gcdowd said:
Ok, I thought some more time in the fridge would fix it (will definitely do that). It was an Amber Ale (from an extract kit)...pretty basic beer.

Yeah that should definitely fix the problem. Try it, let us know on friday or sat if it fixes your problem.

What style of beer is it? Not all styles are supposed to have a lot of head retention; indeed in some styles it is a fault.

With my lagers I use cara-pils for head retention. Flaked barley is an interesting suggestion; I will look into that.

i brewed a pale ale with a pound of flaked barley in the grain bill and a week after bottling (too early i know but i do this to see how things are progressing) the head on the beer was thick and rocky. amazing to me.

Can you add flaked barley for head to anything, or will it add its own flavor to the beer?

it does not add any flavor like, say, flaked rye does. i add it to all of my beers, usually a pound.

Well tried two days in the fridge, still no significant head retention. Not complaining though, beer still tastes good.

More time may be needed in the bottle. I had the same problem with an amber I brewed at xmas. After 6 weeks in the bottle I had a thick head where before there was none. I've brewed a wheat, an IPA and a lager since and I've had good head after 3 weeks. I just cracked the first bottle on a new amber and I'm back to where I was at xmas. Some beers just need more time in the bottle.

It causes haze in the beer, so it's usually only used in darker beers that you can't see through anyway. I use about 6 ounces in some of my darker beers.

i don't doubt that it can but i've used it in pale ales and pilsner with no haze even after chilling. lucky i guess.

I have the same issue with my Hef.

First batch was 4 weeks in bottle, the second was in bottle for 2.5 weeks. I was using plastic cups so soap wouldn't be an issue.

Here is the recipe
7.0 lbs. Wheat Malt Extract
8.0 oz. Wheat malt, milled for steeping
8.0 oz. Vienna malt milled for steeping
1.0 oz. Hallertau hop pellets for bittering (AA=3-4%)
Hefeweizen Yeast (White Labs #WLP300)

The first batch had hops during boil as follows, none for 15 mins, 2/3 oz for 30 mins and 1/3 for remaining 15 mins. The second batch had hops for the full hour boil. First batch had new yeast, second batch I re-pitched the yeast directly into new wort same day it came out of the first batch.

Any advice would be great
Toy4Rick

Add .5 lb Carapils (dextrine) to your malt bill for your next brew. It adds body, head retention and general stability without any added flavor or color. I add it to just about all of my brews for nice head. Also, I think it was mentioned earlier, but be sure to hand wash your beer glassware, since detergent is a certified head killer.

Good luck!

Back