Brew pubs in Portland, OR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Portland on 12/10-12/11. I'm wondering what brewpubs in the downtown area are the best, both for food and beverage. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer or 3 - PM me...I'm going to be staying at the Crowne Plaza, Downtown Conv. Center...and anything within walking distance would be great.

The brewpubs in Portland should speak for themselves... it is Portland! HOWEVER... if you want the best wings you have ever had, go to Fire On The Mountain. Look it up. They also have about 8 local micro on tap.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel is in NE Portland, close to the convention center. Downtown is actually across the Willamette River (on the West side). Within walking distance, hmm, no brewpubs I know of within 15 min. walk of the Crowne Plaza. But, the Widmer Gasthaus is pretty close to there (about a mile North on Interstate). In the downtown area (short bus ride across the river into downtown itself) are: Rogue, Deshutes, Bridgeport, Full Sail, and others I cannot remember. These are all brewpubs. There are many ale houses with 10-100 taps in addition in the area as well. Hope that helps.

One word: MAX

Not the best transit system in the world, but there's a stop at the Convention Center and one very close to Widmer. There's a loop downtown that gets you close to about a dozen others. Buy a day-pass.

Bunch of places in SE Portland, but that takes a car.

Yeah, the Max train is the way to go. The convention center is within "fareless square", so you can hop on and head downtown and it's free. Trains run every 10 or 15 minutes across the river. If you cross the river and head up to 10th street (one stop past Pioneer Courthouse Square), you can switch Max lines and head up to the Pearl district . . and find Rogue (1339 NW Flanders St) and Bridgeport (1313 NW Marshall St) within a few blocks of the Max line. You could also take a 5-7 minute cab ride to Hopworks, at SE28th and Powell . . which is highly recommended.

Yeah, the Max train is the way to go. The convention center is within "fareless square", so you can hop on and head downtown and it's free. Trains run every 10 or 15 minutes across the river. If you cross the river and head up to 10th street (one stop past Pioneer Courthouse Square), you can switch Max lines and head up to the Pearl district . . and find Rogue (1339 NW Flanders St) and Bridgeport (1313 NW Marshall St) within a few blocks of the Max line. You could also take a 5-7 minute cab ride to Hopworks, at SE28th and Powell . . which is highly recommended.

Of Bridgeport, Rogue and Hopworks, which do you think is better for dinner and brew? Bridgeport and Roge are just a couple miles away from the hotel, and I've only got one night to visit :(.

Rogue is fun if you can get in on a trivia night, I am just starting to run out of shirts from those. :)

Rock Bottom is right on the MAX line and I think they have better food though, although the beer is not as good.

If had could only suggest one place to eat though, it would have to be the Rheinlander. They don't brew but they do have a real good beer selection and amazing food and atmosphere. Plus this time of the year they go all out in the decorations. Just bring your appetite and some tips for the accordion guys. :mug:

Deschutes also recently opened their new brewpub in the Pearl District (210 NW 11th Avenue). You just might find the Abyss on tap there right now. And right around the corner from Deschutes is Henry's 12th St. Tavern (10 NW 12th Ave) with 100 taps and a killer happy hour menu that will surely fill you up.

I do not live in portland.

But dont they have a McMennimans (sp?) up there? I have only been to the one in Bend. The one in bend had a pool, movie theater, and a few different bars. All in one place.

Deschutes also recently opened their new brewpub in the Pearl District (210 NW 11th Avenue). You just might find the Abyss on tap there right now. And right around the corner from Deschutes is Henry's 12th St. Tavern (10 NW 12th Ave) with 100 taps and a killer happy hour menu that will surely fill you up.

Damn, that is one nice beer menu! I wonder if I can fit in a stop there, and one around the corner at Rogue? Hmmmm....

Yep, McMenamins is up here, and there's one downtown somewhere. Out of Of Bridgeport, Rogue and Hopworks I'd say Rogue is the way to go. Bridgeport seems to have lost it's homey effects and is now decorated in uber-modern,(all glass and steel, with the old brickwork underneath) I've eaten at Rogue, it's good food, great beer and you can get Old Crustacean in ceramic bottles there. I managed to find a 2006, which will be opened in two weeks/ :D I've never been to hopworks, so I dunno how dinner is there.

I've been to the Deschutes brewery in Bend, and they had Abyss on tap. They serve it in a small snifter, and at 11%, they better!

All very good suggestions. I personally think the food at Widmer is excellent and the beers are good as well. Hopworks is a great place but a smashing success and a bit hard to get into sometimes. Rogue, Dechutes, Bridgeport, Rock Bottom, and Tugboat are all brewpubs in Downtown (Full Sail only has a brewery but not a pub in Downtown). Henry's has so many taps it is hard not to find something good. On the East side (where your hotel is located) are Widmer, Lucky Lab, Roots, and Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) brewpubs. Of course if you want to expand your list to great pubs, the Horse Brass, Green Dragon, and the Concordia Ale house are all worth a trip. You have a lot of choices within the inner city. McMinimums pubs are all over the place (20-30 of them). I know, kind of hard to choose. For sure use MAX. I think the first stop on the airport line from your hotel is Widmer (Interstate).

Best

+ for Henry's I hear really good things and the food at Dechutes is good just a little on the pricey side however you just might be able to get Abyss which would be worth it. Hopworks is busy but has good food and decent beer although to be honest if you really want to get a great selection I think you can't go wrong with Henry's and it's close to downtown which is probably the best thing for you.

Well, looking at the menu and especially the beer menu I think I'll be stopping at Henry's. Very nice selection of brew, and with 100 taps the only problem will be deciding what to order :). And, it's just about 2 miles from my hotel so a short cab ride will do the trick. If anyone wants to meet up on Weds night, send a PM! Cheers! :mug:

Back