Root beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Well I have the ingredients and equipment to make root beer. My home brew guy set me up with some 16 ounce pet bottles for the root beer. Does anyone have a recipe I could use with these bottles?

Also, I assume that everything needs to be sanitized. I read somewhere that pet bottles need a special cleanser before their first use. I was not made aware of this before I bought the bottles, can I just clean and sanitize as usual? I was thinking of just running them through the sanitary rinse cycle on my dishwasher and soaking the funnel and measuring utensils in Idopher.

I have found a recipe for 1 gallon of root beer which calls for 2 2 liter bottles. Can I just use that recipe and mix everything in a pot then funnel into my smaller bottles?

Thanks in advance.

I have found a recipe for 1 gallon of root beer which calls for 2 2 liter bottles. Can I just use that recipe and mix everything in a pot then funnel into my smaller bottles?

Thanks in advance.

I can't comment on the rest.

I have been using 20oz bottles that I recycled from office colleagues and they are working great. I calculated that six 20oz bottles roughly equals 3.5 liters. According to Excel conversion tool, you should have about 8.5 bottles from that recipe. Just make them all the same level for 9 bottles.

I mix all of the ingredients, including the yeast(room temp water) in a large pot. Then I let it set for several minutes to hydrate the dry yeast. Then I ladle it into the bottles via the funnel. Works every time for me. In fact, I have 6 bottles on the counter carbing as I type.

Good luck.

Back