Stenciled Concrete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did quite a bit 2 years ago, it weathered two Northern Wisconsin winters and no problems at all.
We did the aprons in front of the garage doors and the first year we snow plowed and the secong I used a snow blower on a tractor and no problems with that either. Just make sure you use a good sealer so the water cant get into the pores & freeze.

Can they do that over sound existing concrete or does it have to be part of a new pour? I was thinking about doing a walkway from the front driveway to the back deck put I'd want to form it and pour the base myself. Cost per sq ft?

Bobby_M said:
Can they do that over sound existing concrete or does it have to be part of a new pour? I was thinking about doing a walkway from the front driveway to the back deck put I'd want to form it and pour the base myself. Cost per sq ft?

I have never poured them personally but have had to oversee commercial installs and they can be made over existing concrete. Although, it's more durable if you can stamp the actual base rather than a cap.

I think it depends on the surface. On a very slick surface, I believe they etch the concrete first with acid and a pressure washer. If teh concrete is brushed (rough surface) they just clean it with a pressure washer and stencil over it. My driveway was done nearly 6 years ago and has lasted perfectly in the torture of Australian sunshine. It occasionally get down to freezing here as well, but nothing like Wisconsin.

i used to work for ACD we specialized in stamped concrete and the like.

I highly recommend stamped concrete if you have the money, altho expensive, it's worth the investment. Pavers don't have the solid base that poured and stamped concrete does, and it s highly durable.

Normal concrete is spec'd at 2000psi for your standard walkways and patios, the concrete has a color hardener that increases the structural strength to 4000+psi.

All concrete cracks, even stamped concrete, but there are control joints that help reduce structural cracks and your typical sealer hides the cracks anyway... we ask customers to scan their patios, pool decks, etc and tell us if they see any cracks and 90% of the time people don't even notice them.

Yes this can be done over existing concrete, but whatever defects in the concrete being poured over are only mirrored in the new concrete. It's best to remove the old concrete and put a fresh base of around 4-6inches of stone and 4-6 inches of concrete.

Back