Apfelwein question. Meat???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I guess its time to lay the cards out on the table.

I proposed this idea over a month ago and I will admit to the original intent. That is to say we (they know who they are) intended to do something fun for today.

Some co-conspirators were brought in as recently today, other I suspect saw the direction of the thread and ran with it. I know I saw quite a few lurking but not posting.

So that is all I will confess to. I won't reveal anyone on the inside and I also won't reveal the very most important piece of the puzzle.

Did I really do it? Did I really porkify some apfelwein? Was it just as I suggested... a little too subtle?

Well we do have Charly Paps Chicken Beer, adding raw meat to scrumpy and there is Bacon Vodka....

Cheers to you, my Brothers and Sisters in Brew!

Bastards, I was drawn in. The only person who I personally know who has added ground beef to their beer said that it permanently ruined their fermenter. If any of you have actually added meat to your beer, I salute you.

I kinda actually wanna do this.... just to try...... it can't be all that bad, i've used apfelwein as a marinade why not the reverse.....

I will try eventually..... keep a look out for it......

Schlenkerla said:
Since we are getting a little crazy here how about Smoked Sweetmeat Apfelwein made w/ bull testicles only smoked a little bit?

Rocky Mountain oysters, mountain oysters, prairie oysters, Montana tendergroin or swinging sirloin are North American culinary names given to buffalo, boar or bull testicles. They are usually peeled, coated in flour, pepper and salt, sometimes pounded flat, then deep-fried.

Did anyone else wince when they read that? And I agree with red, this thread is all kinds of crazy. I didn't know HBT was able to be read from alternate universes where meat and fermentation is a good idea.

Soo... uhmm.... when's the brew swap on this one?

We're having chicken feet tonight.

ollllo, thanks for a great diversion on an otherwise hectic day. It beat the threat I was going to run about my chance to audition for dancing with the stars because of the liturgical dance group I am in at my church. Brewpastor in tights.

HBT rocks!

What does it say about us as a community that not once, on April Fool's Day no less, did ANYONE call "SHENANIGANS!" on this whole thing?

I'm waiting for the "My Apfelwein with Meat fermentation hasn't started" thread in the next day or two.

Well done olllllo, good times.

Damn...just Damn

the whole testicle beer is kinda interesting though.... hell SWMBO's got em in a jar on a shelf...might as well pickle em in beer.

the_bird said:
What does it say about us as a community that not once, on April Fool's Day no less, did ANYONE call "SHENANIGANS!" on this whole thing?

I did but you kept changing my post.

EDIT - apparently TxBrew thought I was trying to spoil your joke. I was actually really wondering if you were serious considering the date.

blacklab said:
I did but you kept changing my post.

EDIT - apparently TxBrew thought I was trying to spoil your joke. I was actually really wondering if you were serious considering the date.

Ho-kay okay, let's calm down. People of Home Brew Talk, do you declare Shenanigans on this thread?

Yeah!

Okay, olllllllo, do you accept this decree of Shenanigans?

Well, in the end it doesn't matter does it, so that settles it! Everybody grab a broom, it's Shenanigans!

LOL. It was fun trying to get these into a Better Bottle with a little Montrachet. :D

BostonButts.jpg

What a hoot!

Professor Frink said:
I'm waiting for the "My Apfelwein with Meat fermentation hasn't started" thread in the next day or two.

Well done olllllo, good times.

Exactly - I was thinking about posting an "Is my meatfulwein ruined?" thread in the beginners forum under a new account... but work is just out of control just now.

EDIT: "I didn't have any pork so I used a can of Spam. Is my meatfelwein ruined?"

EdWort said:
LOL. It was fun trying to get these into a Better Bottle with a little Montrachet. :D

BostonButts.jpg

What a hoot!

You know bacon/smoke and apples could go together...

... as a less gross approach.... Rauch-Apfelwein

I could see if you took liquid smoke and added it AW in the 2ndary or a bottling bucket. It would be better in a AW made w/ sweet mead yeast though.

OR

Take some boiled lava rock, put it in a smoker basket. Smoke it w/ some apple or cherry wood. ~10-15 minutes. Then add to a 2ndary and syphon over the rocks. Let'r sit for 2-3 weeks...

I think the liquid smoke would be easier and less risky for infections.

I heard a story that when some Somerset cider workers had finished the batch of a particularly delicious cider, on cleaning out the tank they found a dead rat!
Since then they have been adding a chunk of meat and reckon the putrefaction factor is what makes the wonderful taste!!

Why not just wrap a slice of bacon around the glass as you drink it. then you can choose to pork out or not.

~M~

this thread still alive??? haven't you had enough?...we all know apfelwein is better when fermented with fish anyway. I love my 07 Walleypfelwein hmmmm chewy goodness!

BeehiveBrewer said:
Funny thing. I let my SWMBO sample my first Apfelwein, and she said it tastes like MEAT!

You might be onto something :)

" 27B. English Cider

This includes the English “West Country” plus ciders inspired by that style. These ciders are made with bittersweet and bitter-sharp apple varieties cultivated specifically for cider making.

Aroma/Flavor: No overt apple character, but various flavors and esters that suggest apples. May have “smoky (bacon)” character from a combination of apple varieties and MLF . Some “Farmyard nose” may be present but must not dominate; mousiness is a serious fault. The common slight farmyard nose of an English West Country cider is the result of lactic acid bacteria, not a Brettanomyces"

any raw meat seems like a really REALLY bad idea

I think theoretically you could fry some bacon and add it right off the griddle

I have some random dark braggot that I might be willing to sacrifice in the name of science

Back