Are these faucets safe to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAGLS

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new brewer, and have made about four batches, all extract. I have recently acquired a full size three tap kegerator. I have taken the tower apart and removed the faucets in order to install new beer lines. While inspecting the faucets I noticed the O-rings were dried out and cracking. I did find O-ring replacement kits (as these are standard American faucets) for $7.50. However, I also noticed what appears to be corrosion or tarnish on the inside of the faucets. I have attached photos. The photos are after cleaning with super grunge remover. My question is, are they safe to use, or will the tarnish and (what looks like rust on one of them), make the beer taste metallic? There is nothing I hate more than metallic beer. In addition to the tarnish, one of the faucets goose necks is bent. It looks like someone squeezed it with a pair of pliers. Will this cause foaming in the line?

Thank you for any advice.
:mug:

Faucet breakdown.jpg

Faucet 1.jpg

Faucet 2a.jpg

Faucet 3.jpg

bent gooseneck.jpg

Those look to be standard chrome beer faucets. I believe the material they're made from is brass and are chromed. The acidity in beer can erode the chrome off a new faucet in a few to several weeks. As these are used faucets, the chrome looks to have been eroded away and you're left with the actual brass material. I'm sure if you dismantled the chrome faucets at your favorite watering hole, you'll find that they look exactly the same as what you've got here. I'm sure they're safe to drink from.

If you're concerned with your beer flaking away the chrome or brass coming into contact with your beer, you can always use stainless steel faucets, shanks, and tailpieces for your kegerator.

Thank You very much for the quick response. What you said makes perfect sense. I will go ahead and order the O-ring replacement kits.:)

Back