The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife and I were busy making jellies last night, so I picked up some dough (I'm sorry everyone. Really am) and threw together a not too bad pie. Pesto and tomato sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni.

dec162014 pizza.jpg

Throw this into your bread machine on the dough cycle.

210 g water

381 g flour

2 T oil

2 T sugar

1.5 c spent grain (straight from the mashtun)

1.5 tsp salt

2 tsp yeast

Put 1 TBLsp of oil in your cast iron pan. Make the pizza in the pan. Put both pans on FULL blast for 1 minute. Lower the LOW heat and put your cover on. Wait 10-12 mins. Serve.

pizza-collage.jpg

....How do I make a fluffier crust?

Since you say it's from a same day brew session, my recommendation is to allow the dough balls to rise in the fridge for at least two days before using them. The day I'm using them I let them sit out at room temp for at least 1 1/2 hours before shaping.

Since you say it's from a same day brew session, my recommendation is to allow the dough balls to rise in the fridge for at least two days before using them. The day I'm using them I let them sit out at room temp for at least 1 1/2 hours before shaping.

I've made the same recipe before and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. It still doesn't get fluffy. Maybe I need to use more dough per pizza?

I've made the same recipe before and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. It still doesn't get fluffy. Maybe I need to use more dough per pizza?
Everyone has their own way of doing it, and while I have not made spent grain dough before, I imagine it just needs time to rise. Making dough for pizza is a process (for me), I let it rise twice when i make it, then refrigerate for at least 12-24 hours up to 72, then I take it out of the fridge the day I'm making pizza (or the night before) and let it rise for 8-12 hours (and to get up to room temp), I've even gone as far as letting it rise for 24 hours (and it became slightly sour!). At that point, the dough is super easy to work with, all I have to do is let it stretch out using gravity and rotating it about in my hand (holding the dough at the top, forming the middle so it doesn't get stretched too thin).

Of course, this is just my own process... if you still cant get it to rise, try using less spent grain / more unbleached flour?

You have to watch how much spent grain you use to regular flour. Spent grain makes it heavier, so a lil more yeast also works.

I found another dough recipe. Mixed it up Sunday AM and let it go all day. I must admit it turned out really well even though I charred a few edges. We liked this formulation.

006_zpsb1249e58.jpg

007_zpsf05e0589.jpg

Peperoni

009_zps151c725b.jpg

010_zpsbf7ae43c.jpg

Hawaiian with my home made Buckboard bacon and slab bacon, along with some canned pineapple

011_zpsf7f29538.jpg

012_zps556dc776.jpg

...and a sausage with my home made sausage

013_zps04d995cf.jpg

014_zps8ead353f.jpg

Now see.... this is the thread I thought I was clicking on yesterday when I clicked on the one about Mike piazza and hall of fame..... and I care nothing about it.

Your pics of pizza is making me hungry. Wish I could make some now. It is Christmas eve and I am waiting for the granddaughter to fall asleep. The family still won't let me cook without supervision. And I don't have anything to put on it.

I wanna get that weber & the pizza oven add-on. I was wondering how well it did. Looks good but how long to bake @ what temp would you say works best? Getting in the mood for my shrimp & scallop pizza with marinara & smoked gouda...

No pics, so it probably didn't happen, but we made a pesto, shroom, and spinach pie last night. Picked up a whole wheat dough ball from a local shop. They use a lot of cornmeal all over it, which was interesting, but still tasty.

I wanna get that weber & the pizza oven add-on. I was wondering how well it did. Looks good but how long to bake @ what temp would you say works best? Getting in the mood for my shrimp & scallop pizza with marinara & smoked gouda...

Try theshrimp and scallop with evoo, red pepper flakes, garlic and the smoked Gouda. You'll never use red sauce again.

Back