What your pet peeve about Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am SO PARANOID about sanitation. it's a love/hate thing i guess.
i kinda wanna step up to 10 gallon batches, but then i read the size/scope of the equipment required and said forget it. (but i still yearn to go big, lol)

My New Pet Peeve is,

Not having a brew stand setup yet, AG full boils on the stove are a pain in the arse.

Soon I will build it, then all will be right with the world, at least my brewing world.

Cheers :mug:

For me, it's trying to do it out here in BFE. Went to Wal-Mart last night. No Oxy Clean to clean empty bottles with. No paint strainer bags to do BIAB with. Only 5 gallon round coolers, and only 1 rectangular one with a spout on the side. Nearest Lowe's is an hour away. Nearest HD is 2. :mad:

For me, it's trying to do it out here in BFE. Went to Wal-Mart last night. No Oxy Clean to clean empty bottles with. No paint strainer bags to do BIAB with. Only 5 gallon round coolers, and only 1 rectangular one with a spout on the side. Nearest Lowe's is an hour away. Nearest HD is 2. :mad:

Online shopping is your friend.

Try www.only a zillion on line brew suppliers out there.com!!!

Its living in an apartment with a tiny kitchen and a electric stove that makes trying to get 4-5gals of wort to boil take forever, cant wait to have a place where I can get a gas stove

The cost of never-ending upgrades and the amount of room required to store and condition hundreds of bottles.

My biggest pet peeve is that I haven't met or seen any other female brewers. I know that brewing, and even liking beer, is kind of a boy's club but I get soooo pissed at dumb BMC drinking dudes who think they know more about beer just because I have boobs.

My only pet peeve is that I only get to brew one batch per week, since I still have to go to work Monday through Friday. Soon as I retire ... going to buy more fermenters and brew until my bloods turns into an IPA!!!

Natalie_H said:
My biggest pet peeve is that I haven't met or seen any other female brewers. I know that brewing, and even liking beer, is kind of a boy's club but I get soooo pissed at dumb BMC drinking dudes who think they know more about beer just because I have boobs.

John Harvard's brew pub in Framingham Mass, head brewer: Maria. She rocks! Their original location in Cambridge is a cool spot, but her beer just tastes better. And she's NOT some butch wanna be guy; she's a very nice gal who happens to be an awesome brewer! Go girl power!!!

John Harvard's brew pub in Framingham Mass, head brewer: Maria. She rocks! Their original location in Cambridge is a cool spot, but her beer just tastes better. And she's NOT some butch wanna be guy; she's a very nice gal who happens to be an awesome brewer! Go girl power!!!

What a shame. I happen to be into butch girls

Natalie_H said:

Yeah that would suck. I'm female, I live in San Francisco & there are more of us lady brewers here and/or drinkers with beer knowledge. Just did a roadie to RRBC for Pliny the Younger with two other females who got up at 6am to be the first in line (ok, we were 8, 9 and 10). and Yes. it. was .worth. it.
Hang in there, or move here ;) Seems like you might fit in.

Yeah that would suck. I'm female, I live in San Francisco & there are more of us lady brewers here and/or drinkers with beer knowledge. Just did a roadie to RRBC for Pliny the Younger with two other females who got up at 6am to be the first in line (ok, we were 8, 9 and 10). and Yes. it. was .worth. it.
Hang in there, or move here ;) Seems like you might fit in.

I used to live in Sacramento, but I moved out to **** Nowhere, Arizona for school. I miss San Fran sooo much. At least I got to go to Pride the last two years though :)

The constant battle with myself, to stop spending money I don't have, on brewing toys I probably don't need. :)

I don't really have a "peeve" about brewing, but if I had to pick my least-favorite aspects of it, it would probably be a toss-up between cleaning the mash tun and disposing of the grains, and breaking down/cleaning/sanitizing/reassembling kegs.

When a buddy of mine comes mid brew.

"What step of the process is this? Is this the mash? How much barley is that? Woww, the smell! Okay, so this is after the boil? Do you put the hops in now? So time frame? These hops look moldy. Can I touch this? When is the apricot one going to be ready? Okay, Im gonna watch basketball, where is your computer?"

When a buddy of mine comes mid brew.

"What step of the process is this? Is this the mash? How much barley is that? Woww, the smell! Okay, so this is after the boil? Do you put the hops in now? So time frame? These hops look moldy. Can I touch this? When is the apricot one going to be ready? Okay, Im gonna watch basketball, where is your computer?"

Teach him? He's clearly interested.

Limitations: not enough space in my fermenting room (a spare bathroom) for all the fermenters I want to fill, not enough money for the equipment I want, not enough time in my schedule to brew when I want.

Oh, and moronic Alabama law, which peeve will hopefully be addressed this year. :rockin:

-Rich

Space-money limitations are getting to me. I want to graduate, get a job, and build a home bar and 1bbl brewery like I see on here! The DIY bar and brewery threads are not helping!

Dude that's a huge bummer. I bottled up about 4 bottles of 3 different batches and hid them in my house before vacation because I had a job interview with Twisted Pine upon my return. When I got home from vacation I found that my roommates had drank ALL of the bottles (despite being labeled "do not drink") AND proceeded to empty my kegs. That was a fun night in my house when they basically cost me my dream job.

If ever there was a valid reason for justifiable homicide, this is it. Sounds like you need new (or no) roommates.

Mine is not having a dedicated space to brewing. This is the broad peave that brings me a lot of trouble throughout the day. Basically, I'm storing things all over the place at my house. Burner and gas go in the shed in the back, Brew pots go in the closet in the basement, cooler/mash tun goes in the attic. I really don't even mind the cleaning of everything, It just seems like I could walk to California and back all the treking I do getting stuff out and putting it away.

The fact that the USPS still has not located my temp controller that arrived at my local post office on Jan 14. Scanned in and disappeared. And to think. It made it all the way from China to within 3 miles of my house before disappearing. No wonder they are hurting...

Latest posts

Back