Is the very top layer the actual yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain

Reaction score
Hi all, still trying to understand yeast washing...
I collected the yeast cake from an american ale with us 05. Any problems collecting a dry pitch like us 05?

After the first washing, I have a very thin (~1/4") lighter layer on the top. Is this the actual yeast layer?

You can barely see the lighter layer at the very top:

IMAG0001.jpg

I am thinking about yeast washing as well, but still don't get it. So when he goes to repitch this on a new batch of wort, what is he pouring into the carboy? Just all the liquid from the trub up or is the tiny milky line he is referring to (which I can't see in the picture)?

Dry yeast is simply a strain that has been packaged and shipped with the liquid removed. In general the strains offered dry are more hearty, since not all strains can survive the drying process. Yes you can ranch any strain, whether you originally purchased it as a liquid or dry.

I am thinking about yeast washing as well, but still don't get it. So when he goes to repitch this on a new batch of wort, what is he pouring into the carboy? Just all the liquid from the trub up or is the tiny milky line he is referring to (which I can't see in the picture)?
I know, I'm having a bit of difficulty undersanding too, so if I'm wrong, somebody please jump in.
Look at the sticky on washing yeast a few more times, but basically, it's this:
Sanitary, sanitary, sanitary... This is half of the process (which I won't go into here).
Collect your entire yeast/trub cake with a water swirl, put in fridge and allow to settle.
Pour off (dispose) the top layer of wort/water.
Collect the top layer of solids into a new jar and water.
Repeat a few times to get as much trub out of the collection as possible.
Pitch washed yeast into a starter of DME/water.
After a day or so, it will be ready to pitch into your new wort.
For large batches, or if the yeast is getting weak, you may need to "step up", which means after your first starter, make another one right afterwards.

Did I get that right?

Back