Honey witbier randomly gushes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnrmcnary

Reaction score
I brewed an extract summer witbier kit (wheat lme, steeping grains 8oz barley 8oz oats) coriander and orange peel. I added 1/4 pound honey malt to the steeping grains, and 1 lb of honey after the boil. I gave fermentation some extra time to account for the addition of honey, and made sure SG was stable for three days. Then, i dehydrated orange slices and added a chunk to each bottle. They've been aging 2 months. About a third of the bottles gush like crazy when i pop the top, the rest make a perfect pour. I used the same priming sugar method as the rest of my batches, but the orange slice was a first try.
Any ideas?
And it tastes great, gets rave reviews, several friends want to buy it from me.

Probably an infection, or improperly mixed priming sugar. I'd revisit your sanitation at bottling time, and give the bottling bucket a swirl with a long spoon every 6 beers or so.

Yea. Sounds like dirty bottle infection if it happens with some and the others are well carbonated.

I steamed the bottles just before bottling. I had just taken the oranges off the dehydrator. Didnt know what else to do to them to sterilize them

I would blame the oranges. Perhaps you could have dipped them in vodka before you put them in. I don't know how dehydrating could sanitize them so maybe figure that out and give it another go.

You should use a sanitizer solution. I wouldn't rely on steam alone to sanitize my bottles. You can make you own with bleach/water/vinegar or you can buy something like StarSan.

Back