Thar' she blows...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all - making a Red Hook ESB Clone and I just had my first 'blow over' of foam out of the fermenter lock in initial fermentation.

It occured after about 4 days in the initial fermenter. Not too much foam, but the fermenter lock was full and some residual around plug hole too.

I cleaned off the top and cleaned lock and re-inserted to fermenter 1. It started bubbling again after about an hour.

Question - is this all you do when you get a blow out??

Question 2 - should I continue to leave beer in Fermenter 1 for awhile longer before racking to secondary?

Thanks,
Chicagobluesman

to prevent blow out:

a) use a larger fermenter
b) use a blow off hose (not a blow off valve... it's not a turbocharger). Simalair to an airlock, use a rubber stopper of some sort with a hole through it, take 3/8" hose, insert it into hole, and run it into a bowl with vodka in it (vodka prevents bacteria from getting in) make sure that the bowl has enough vodka to cover the end of the hose, and also that the bowl is large enough that it's not going to overflow

FrewBrew said:
.......run it into a bowl with vodka in it (vodka prevents bacteria from getting in) make sure that the bowl has enough vodka to cover the end of the hose....

What a waste of Vodka. Just use a sanitiser solution. Iodophor and water has worked just fine for me. Vodka works good in small airlocks, but it would be a real waste if you filled a bowl with it for a blow-off hose.

Ed_Savage said:
Vodka works good in small airlocks, but it would be a real waste if you filled a bowl with it for a blow-off hose.

Unless you've got a handle of 5 O'Clock, then it's pretty much a wash. Do they have that everywhere? I notice the super-cheap vodkas seem to vary from place to place. In Michigan it was 5 O'Clock; around here (Boston) it's Rubinoff. Great stuff either way.

chicagobluesman said:
Question 2 - should I continue to leave beer in Fermenter 1 for awhile longer before racking to secondary?

Don't move it to the secondary until the bubbling has died down (like one bubble per minute). If you move it to the secondary now you'll have another blow out to clean up.

Question one: I frequently wipe down the cabinets & mop the floor as well, but you did all you need to for the ferment.

chicagobluesman said:
Question - is this all you do when you get a blow out??

Thanks,
Chicagobluesman

yep, clean, re-sanitize and put 'er back in the primary.

leave it in the primary until it's done. maybe check the ferm temp of the yeast strain used. higher than optimum tends to make it over active.

your doing right! :D

As long as the bowl that you're running the blowoff tube to is lower than the level of your fermentor, I would just use plain water. I don't think you need to waste vodka or sanitizer.

What would Lemmy do?

Throw down "the ace of spades"!
Oh, and get the cocoa puffs removed from his face.

DeRoux's Broux said:
ever see the Young One's episode where Motorhead kicked out "The Ace of Spades"? swwweeeettt......

I freaking love that episode!!! Isnt that the one where the giant snadwich falls from the kitchen on top of Rik?

yep. the one where they try to get to the game show and they write "bottom burp" under neils name on his podium.....classic stuff!
STP, the rat... HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

PeatReek said:
Unless you've got a handle of 5 O'Clock, then it's pretty much a wash. Do they have that everywhere? I notice the super-cheap vodkas seem to vary from place to place. In Michigan it was 5 O'Clock; around here (Boston) it's Rubinoff. Great stuff either way.

You forgot "Mr. Boston" brand cheapo liquor!! We used to drink that in High school. Not even sure if it is around any longer...

Back