Burner Flame Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBiermann

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum and hoping I might rely on the communities expertise to solve a problem. I've just installed a 10 tip propane Jet Burner in my new setup just due to the fact that it fit perfectly into my stand. It's rated at 100,000 btus which I figured would be plenty though not excessive. The problem is that I seem to be getting too much yellow flame instead of the clean, hot blue. It also seems to be slightly sluggish, heating 15 gls from 70 to 170 in just under an hour. It did not come with a venturi setup and I was told that the venturis are under the jets anyway but I was thinking that I might cut some venturi slots into the brass coupling nipple (see picture below) to improve oxygen input. any experiences out there with similar issues? Any insights would be appreciated.

cheers,

Josh

burnerclose.jpg

burnerfar).jpg

Also, in case pressure might be the issue, I have an adjustable reg (10-60 psi) but I've been keeping it pretty low, cranking it up just seems to produce more yellow flame.

Might be a terminology thing, but I thought jet burners do all their air/fuel mixing at the individual "jets". Each of those ten nozzles are little venturis, kind of like side-draft carburetors. I expect slotting the manifold to introduce air to the gas feed upstream from the nozzles is unlikely to provide any improvement, and might even be dangerous...

Cheers!

Yeah, went back to the restaurant supply company that I bought them from and they admitted that they were wrong, it's a natural gas burner not a propane. So now need to decide if I can find new jet burners for the manifold or whether to just return them and buy new burners which would be a shame because they fit so well in my stand. Damn.

Back