Repitch / repitch with starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This beer has been giving me fits. Here's the short of the current problem:

Tuesday LHBS closes before I can get there so can't make starter for Weds brewday

Weds morn, "smack" two packs of Wyeast 2042

Then, after brewing for a few hours I pitch the yeast and notice ruefully that there's not been a lot of expansion in the yeast packs.

Then disaster really settles in: I push the stopper in too far and it falls into the now full carboy. I, as quickly a I can, sanitize tubing, racking cane, and brand-new 6 gal better bottle and then transfer the beer.

Now it's 54 hours later and there's nothing going on. My SG (1.044) is exactly where it was at the end of the boil. So the questions:

A) repitch with a different yeast strain tomorrow morning since I bought the last two packs from the LHBS of what was originally used (which kinda has me thinking that yeast may be old but I'll never know now...)

B) repitch with a different yeast strain on Sunday after beginning a starter tomorrow

C) drive like half an hour each way in the rain to another HBS where they'll have the same yeast I began with and pitch it when I get home

D) C + make a starter.

This sucks.:(

30 hours is not that long for potentially old yeast that was not awake when it took the plunge. Give it some more time before tossing more in.

30 hours is not that long for potentially old yeast that was not awake when it took the plunge. Give it some more time before tossing more in.

Apologies...it's been over two days. I fixed my OP. It's been 54 hours since I first pitched.

I'd shake it like it owes me money and give it a little more time before gettig too concerned.

I've been doing that...every time I walk buy. And no amount of agitation produces any result in the airlock contraindicating the production of CO2 in the fermenting vessel.

I've been brewing for a little while, over a year anyway, and it's clear something ain't right. I guess I'll check in with the knowledgeable folks at my LHBS.

Back