Dry Hopping - timing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtroxel

Reaction score
When is the "best" time to dry hop?

I generally do it about 7-10 days before I bottle or keg. Most of the time I cool the carboy to get my yeast to drop out as much as possible. Take it out - let it warm up to 65 or so again and then insert hops. (i prefer to do everything in one carboy. 4-8 weeks before I transfer)

However - I see people saying to do it a few days after fermentation stops - which seems a bit nuts.

I wait til I get a stable FG to dry hop for a week. You want most of the yeast settled out. But not so much it has trouble carbonating if you bottle as I do. I also sack them up.

I was actually just looking into this and some of the craft brewers actually dry hop starting as soon as primary fermentation is starting to slow down, but before it has been completed. They leave it in there for a few days to a week then transfer to secondary. I think the theory is that you are still at warmer temperatures so you can extract more oils, plus fermentation is still active, so the yeast "circulate" the hop particles around, rather than them just sitting on the top of your beer.

The problem is,the hop oils cling to the suspended yeast,& drop to the bottom with them. So it's not a good thing on our scale to dry hop before FG is reached. Can't rush goodness.

so - what I do is probably just fine?

I cold crash - them move the beer and let it warm back up and then dry hop. oild get oily due to temp and yeast stays away.

As long as you're not cold crashing it so much that too much yeast settles out. Don't want carbonation problems. But yeah,otherwise that's ok. A one week dry hop works for me.

Latest posts

Back