Kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
I got my hands on a free upright fridge/freezer. Standard with the freezer on top. I plan to turn this into a kegerator and I have been looking to see what others have done with refrigerators of this type. I plan on mounting the faucets in the door and I was thinking that it would be great if I could mount them in the upper (freezer) door. That way I could access the kegs, etc. without the beer lines dragging along as you open the door. I thought as long as I insulate the heck out of the lines in the freezer portion I should be good. Anyone have thoughts on this? Although If the fridge and freezer have seperate temp controls I could turn the freezer to as high as it would go and not have to worry as much?? Any thoughts, opinions or useful experience anyone can share would be great!
Thanks!!

I have nothing to back this up, but my gut instinct is to tell you that insulation only slows heat transfer, it doesn't stop it completely. Unless you're pouring beers pretty much continuously those lines are eventually going to freeze up on you.

If you want them up high, I'd just mount them as high as you can on the fridge door and call it good enough. I'm sure there are ways you could run them through the freezer and make it work, but it would probably add considerable expense and effort.

Plus that just seems too high to me, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Just read your post a little closer. You're wanting to avoid the beer lines getting in the way when you open up the fridge to do whatever needs to be done....

Easy answer. Buy longer lines and bundle them together and zip tie them to the side of the fridge on the hinge side of the door. No worries about freezing and they'll stay out of the way. Just adjust the psi on your co2 to match the length of the lines and you'll be golden.

Owner of my LHBS has this type of fridge in the back of his shop and still has the hole in the freezer door (plugged albeit) to show folks who have tried this before. Even insulated the lines still froze. But, if you can separately control the freezer section then go for it.

Even with separate controls, I doubt this would work. My old kegger had a top freezer and I could never get it above 25F.

But, if you can separately control the freezer section then go for it.

If the fridge and freezer can really, truly be separately controlled, then we'd be talking about some super high-end fridge that wouldn't likely be scored for free.

Why not control the whole think with an aquarium controller. Turn the fridge to max, the freezer to minimum and the the aquarium controller do the rest. You could connect a fan to the controller to blow freezer air back into the fridge.

Latest posts

Back