Can Cider Skunk like Beer (UV Light)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5g batch of Apfelwein that has been sitting in my basement for almost 6 months now in a glass carboy with no protection from incoming sunlight. It's not your typical basement scenario and I know there has been direct (well, through single-pane, untreated glass) sunlight on the carboy.

In this situation, will cider skunk like beer does or will the absence of hops allow me to relax?

cider doesn't skunk like beer because there aren't any hop oils to react to sunlight, but it can get "light struck". Just cover it up with a blanket or towel, and it'll be fine.

well, it's been exposed for about 2 months now. Think it's alright? I haven't used my personal sensory devices yet... guess I could always try that, huh? :D

Can we get an update on this? I've had a batch of apfelwein and another of mead in glass carboys for about a month now. They don't get direct sunlight, but there is only a sheet over the window in this unused bedroom. Should we be concerned?:confused:

Back