LHBS versus Online ordering... Head to head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I took a drive to a local Homebrew store in Chicago, a place called "Brew and Grow." I had been ordering from Austin Homebrew. Here's a quick head to head comparison:

1) Putting together a grain bill: I give the edge to the online store here. Instead of ordering just what I needed, I had to grab bags of this and that in 5lb or 1 lb increments. In other homebrew stores I've been to I've merely presented the grain bill and the store's employees assembled it for me. It worked out okay, but I took home leftovers and bought more grain, ultimately, than I needed. I also had to crush it myself with their Maltmill. For a minute there I thought I was going to have to hand crank it out. Then he broke out a mill attached to a drill.

2) The crush. Big edge to my local store, I think. I don't have a mill so I've really only seen the crush I get online. This was a much finer crush and they took some time making sure they had it adjusted properly before I used it. I appreciated it.

3) Beer samples. I got two small sample cups that were pretty good. Edge to LHBS, although I had to ask for them. Though I spent quite a sum there today, he didn't offer me a beer. When I asked to try one after seeing him offer beer to almost everyone else, he apologized, so I think they usually offer.

4) Price: Edge to online. Just about everything was more expensive than online. I bought a Perlick and it was just over $40. Only $32 online. Bought a CO2 distributor, 2 way, was $36. About $29 online, or less on ebay. It was definitely more on basically everything.

5) Immediate gratification from LHBS, obviously.

6) Cost control: If you're online you can see how much you're total is before you get to the register and even decide to hold off on the order if it comes out to be too much for you. Since I was there I wound up just getting everything I was thinking I needed recently, then was a bit surprised when I saw the total.

7) Packaging. Edge to Online. I was practically on my own bagging my stuff. After cracking my grain I had to hunt around for some paper bags. Usually my stuff arrives heat sealed and other LHBS also heat seal, but not this one.

8) Knowledge... I usually order from a website with no interaction from staff so I don't know how knowledgeable staff at Austin Homebrew are. At LHBS, they were too busy to interact much. I was also told that cracked grain will last 3 months and that if I was worried I should put it in the freezer.

...I'm not sure about this advice.

9) Time. Big edge to online. They assemble, crush grain, and ship to my door. It was several hours of time saved. I think it was 2 hours door to door to go to LHBS.

10) Meeting some cool brewers... Er, not so much for me. The man working there seemed alright, but not especially interested in conversation. I asked about favorite recipes and he showed me to a book. He may have been busy, but it wasn't the brewing community I thought I might encounter.

Overall, I think I'm going back to online, though I don't think I get as good a crush. Better accelerate plans for the motorized mill. Price, time, and hassle are all factors.

What are your experiences?

I have a great LHBS,but its about 40 min. drive one way. but well worth the drive. and the only online I've done online was when I didnt have the time to drive. So I ordered from them online. but sometimes I feel like I am missing out for not trying places like Austin Homebrew. have heard they are great.

just do what ever works best for you. :tank:

Brew and Grow,sounds like a cool place...head shop/brew shop?

I love my local home brew shop for ingredients and online for equipment most of the time. I'd never be able to totally give up my LHBS just for the reason that I like to go there to smell the place. Few places smell as good as a good brew shop!

My LHBS is awesome. With the exeception of hops and hardware pricing is a wash so I shop local.
No LHBS will be able to beat online prices for hardware.
I think it might be helpful if people would let go of the expectation that the owner/guy working is willing and able to hold your hand through recipes, etc. You should count on being able to have a question answered and get some advice, but be realistic. Understand that you are not the only one who needs something.

Not every LHBS is a friendly place. I have two near me (within 20 minutes). One has great staff who offer advice and will just talk if they have time. The other one is staffed with attitude and expired products. I know I could save if I bought online but then I would not be supporting both my LHBS and more importantly, a local small business.

My LHBS is awesome. With the exeception of hops and hardware pricing is a wash so I shop local.
No LHBS will be able to beat online prices for hardware.
I think it might be helpful if people would let go of the expectation that the owner/guy working is willing and able to hold your hand through recipes, etc. You should count on being able to have a question answered and get some advice, but be realistic. Understand that you are not the only one who needs something.

I came in with a recipe ready to go so I wasn't quite the guy you describe. I was more curious to do something like try one of their brews and then maybe get the recipe if I liked it for future reference. Or maybe check out the RIMS system he was brewing on. I have been in LHBS where people were sitting around a bar having a glass of beer and discussing it and having a few laughs. While this may be the exception, the beer in a paper cup and no opportunity to discuss brewing was a bit disappointing. But hey, they were a bit busy.

I went into the "other" LHBS today. Not the trendy one but the "other" one. Guy running it was quite the character, but he was helpful and had corney kegs for 30 bucks. Havent seen a price like that online anywhere. So all and all it was a good day.

My LHBS is also an online store so its the best of both worlds. In store price is the same as the website.
I always look at prices online as Item + shipping. That is the real cost to you.
Compare that price to the LHBS and see what the real difference is.

My LHBS is awesome. He's a serious AG brewer and carries a bunch of grains at good prices--basically the same as online when you factor in shipping. He carries dozens of liquid yeast types, at least 30 hop varieties (just picked up some Nelson Sauvin). He'll order me a 55-lb sack and let me bring it in to crush whenever I want. I've seen him offer to open the store on a closed day (or stay open late) to help out a brewer in need. I do order grains/hops online occasionally, and buy all my hardware online. I want this guy to stay in business, so he gets my $$$. And...he's about a 2-min drive from Victory Brewing, so I always snag my growler, and then stop by and offer him a snort.

To me, it really depends on price, if its something I need right quick I'll go to the LHBS. The only time I buy online is when I'm buying alot of things at once and the shipping is worth it. Not to mention to drive down to the LHBS takes alot of time since its a fair distance (24 minute drive there) away but it is quicker then waiting 3-4 business days. Most of the time though I like online sites and find that a trip to the LHBS usually is once in a bluemoon fieldtrip...

So for me its Time vs Money....

I think I ordered four and paid $22 shipping, which cuts it down a little.

I love Hoggetowne Ale Works, my local store. I used to order online exclusively, and had very good experiences with Austin Homebrew, Brewmaster's Warehouse and a couple of other sources. I still order some odds and ends online from time to time, but I get most of my stuff locally now.
It's great to be able to chew the grain, smell the hops, get a double-crush, and maybe have a beer and hang out for a while. What's really great about good local homebrew stores is the community aspect once you get to know the other regulars, the staff and the owner - especially when bringing in beers to sample or tasting the brews of others. You learn a lot that way and really expand your flavor horizon. That's worth a lot more than saving a buck or two (if that) when you order online.

In Chicago.

There is one in Bolingbrook which would be a hike for you. But I just wrote this review last week on this site.

"If that's the case I gotta give a HUGE shout out to my Brew Shop. Brew and Grow in Boilingbrook IL. They are STOCKED with extracts, full grain selection, tons of hops, better bottles, carboys and accessories. I think there are only three people that work there. You walk in the door and all three people greet you with a hello. There is a taller guy that always comes around the counter to ask if I need help finding anything. He is super friendly. There is guy that seems to really know his **** (not that the others don't - but he spotted my grain bill from 15 feet away and started asking me about the Pale Ale I was going to brew) he usually stays behind the counter and asks me which FREE beer sample I would like to try. On top of that there is an attractive lady that works behind the counter that wanted to hold my newborn son for me while I shopped. All three of them are great. So great that I honestly don't look at the prices (and I'm not rollin in the dough)."

For putting together my own extract recipes, NB can't be beat. Their extracts are unbelievably delicious. I use my LHBS when I need something in a pinch but otherwise I stay away. When I started brewing, I bought everything from the Beer Nut in SLC where they were super helpful and the ingredients were fresh and respected. In comparison, the closest place to me is the opposite.

I think part of the down side to your LHBS experience is the fact that your store is a Brew and Grow. We have one near where I live, and they do have brewing stuff, but they are really an indoor "gardening" store first and a HBS second. My experience with them is that their prices are ok on small stuff and ingredients, but they are high (like you said) on some of the true brewing equipment. They seem to be average to below average in their hops and yeast selection. Their grain selection is above average, but everything is in 1lb and 5lb bags. As for knowledge and customer service, I wasn't that impressed. Most of the guys that work there aren't really that interested in helping or answering questions. They just want to ring you up. But, I think this goes back to the fact that they really aren't a true LHBS. They are a regional chain store that happens to sell homebrew supplies in some of their stores.

Oh, and one more thing. I would question the freshness of some ingredients. I can't say that I've gotten anything that was truly bad from them, but I also have only bought unmilled grain. The reason I say this is because on the occasions I have been in the store, there are usually more guys standing behind the checkout counter than there are customers in the store.

My LHBS is tiny. The prices are considerably higher than online. I do most of my shopping online and will continue to do so, but having something local if my racking cane breaks or I need to pick up a little more malt or some bottle caps or something is really nice. It's never busy and the guy who owns it is a really nice guy.

Well.. I'm a "Gatta have it now!" type when it comes to brewing so I prefer my LHBS over online.
Also, my LHBS is 2 min away from my house. They are a microbrewery too, so I usually bring my notebook, have a brew and chat with the Brewmaster to get some tips and advice.
They are super friendly and knowledgeable, between them and you guys on here, i've never had a problem!
I'll admit that the prices are a little high, but it balances out when you take shipping costs into consideration.
The BIG PLUS for me is that I can get hands on with my grains to smell, touch, taste, before taking them home. AND... I've never received dead yeast! Like when I used to order online. :(
As for equipment, I bought my very fist set up ((After Mr. Beer)) from them. They have everything, if you can be a little patient to them serving customers a pint or two.
:ban:I was told by the Brewmaster this week that if I needed anything he didn't have, they would order it for me with no shipping costs. :) That's pretty cool... I love my LHBS

Well.. I'm a "Gatta have it now!" type when it comes to brewing so I prefer my LHBS over online.
Also, my LHBS is 2 min away from my house. They are a microbrewery too, so I usually bring my notebook, have a brew and chat with the Brewmaster to get some tips and advice.
They are super friendly and knowledgeable, between them and you guys on here, i've never had a problem!
I'll admit that the prices are a little high, but it balances out when you take shipping costs into consideration.
The BIG PLUS for me is that I can get hands on with my grains to smell, touch, taste, before taking them home. AND... I've never received dead yeast! Like when I used to order online. :(
As for equipment, I bought my very fist set up ((After Mr. Beer)) from them. They have everything, if you can be a little patient to them serving customers a pint or two.
:ban:I was told by the Brewmaster this week that if I needed anything he didn't have, they would order it for me with no shipping costs. :) That's pretty cool... I love my LHBS

That's a great situation alright. Enjoy!

Some of us don't have the option of a LHBS. All we have is a corner of a big chain liquor store, no way of knowing how long anything has been sitting around. Hops are all hung from pegboards, unrefrigerated. I'm just thankful there are good online suppliers. My favorite? Midwest.

Note: I have never gotten ingredients that weren't fresh ordering online, no dead yeast, etc. The one time I had a bad product (a nylon hop bag that had an open seam) it was replaced immediately, no questions asked.

I've had issues lately with liquid yeast arriving dead, even with cold packs. I think Fedex must store the box in an oven. :(

Anyway, buying liquid yeast at the LHBS works great. I can check the date and he has a good variety. Costs less than a dollar more. I usually wind up picking up some hops and odds and ends while I'm in there, too.

The lbhs works for me when I need to go by but their hours now are a little screwy but the prices are great. Ordered from NB 1 time for a christmas gift and it was nice.

My LHBS is tiny. The prices are considerably higher than online. I do most of my shopping online and will continue to do so, but having something local if my racking cane breaks or I need to pick up a little more malt or some bottle caps or something is really nice. It's never busy and the guy who owns it is a really nice guy.

I'm in the same boat. I spent more than $3k on homebrewing and kegging supplies last year. About $200 of that went to my local shop. My guy doesn't seem too interested in trying to capture a higher percentage of my brewing expenses. I don't get it to be honest. Great guy, but I don't think he realizes how much business he's missing out on.

I guess I'm the worst type of hypocrite - the one that says "Use the LHBS, even if it's a bit more expensive, or it won't be around and you'll lose that convenience permanently" then buys bulk.

The ONLY reason I buy honey in bulk is that 1) honey is not the standard offering of a LHBS. 2) It's almost 3x as expensive as buying bulk.

That said, I only buy beer ingredients at the LHBS. I pay more because I go down there with a growler (or two) of homebrew and can chat for hours with the owner when he's not busy and we drink and talk brewing, life, the universe, and everything.

Back