10g Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottishPete

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used the search to go through a couple pages of topics with 10 gallon in the title, and it seems like a lot of people break their 10g batches into two containers for fermentation ...

My really stupid question is, why isn't there something like a 12g Better Bottle product? Is it because the market for 10g brewing is that much smaller?

Is there a concensus on the best product for single container fermentation of 10g batches?

10G is heavy. I have a hard enough time trying to muscle a 6.5G carboy onto and off of a counter top, let alone into a chest freezer converted into a fermentation chamber. 10G would be impossible for my hands and back.

10G is heavy. I have a hard enough time trying to muscle a 6.5G carboy onto and off of a counter top, let alone into a chest freezer converted into a fermentation chamber. 10G would be impossible for my hands and back.

Yeah, that's it exactly. A full 10 gallon carboy would weigh in excess of 80 pounds. Unless you have a dolly, or are Charles Atlas, that's a tough size to manage. I can't fit anything that big in my fermentation area, in my fridge, etc. If I wanted something that big, I'd get a conical (no lifting) and a walk- in cooler.

Those 15 gallon plastic containers work , you can often get them cheap or free used from LHBS as they are LME containers. don't go for the used soda versions.

Plastic 15+ gallon inductor tanks work well.

SS conicals are great, but cost more.

Currently I am using a 15 gallon Corny type keg for fermenting. Or you can go the Sanke route.

"Is there a consensus on the best product for single container fermentation of 10g batches?" LOL - you won't even get a consensus on what color is a blue sky!

As others have stated, if you need portability:

images
images
images

I ferment in a 1/2 barrel sanke keg and leave it sitting in my upright freezer. There is no need to move it around.

If you have to up or down stairs, I wouldn't do it. I have <a href="http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_53_147&products_id=12287">one of these</a>, and it's a bastard to get down to the basement. I've used it exactly once.

Back