Commercial "sweet" beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usc_cop

Reaction score
I posted in the recipe section about needing a recipe for a sweet beer for the wife. But before I try to make one, is there a commercial beer I could get her to try to see if we can find her definition of "sweet"?

I and several others have brewed Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale and most have liked it. A lot depends on the type of Vanilla used and the amount. The recipe is post #4 in this thread:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2435&highlight=vanilla+cream

I stuck pretty much to the recipe and have received a lot of compliments.

Cheers.:mug:

Just realized you were looking for "commercial" beers. If you can get a hold of Leinenkugel's, they have some fruit flavored wheat beers that my wife likes (they are based in WI but bought out by Miller). Hope that helps some.

These are the commercial examples of sweet stouts from the BJCP Guidelines. The rest can be fount at www.bjcp.org

Mackeson's XXX Stout, Watney's Cream Stout, St. Peter's Cream Stout, Marston's Oyster Stout, Samuel Adams Cream Stout, Left Hand Milk Stout

Try some Leinenkugal's Berry Weiss if its available near you.... Very sweet stuff.

I mean, its about 75% or so towards 'Wine Cooler'... If that stuffs not sweet enough for the ol' lady, not sure what will be.

Still pretty good though. Especially every now and then in the summertime...

erbiumyag said:
Belgian lambics are always a good choice, such as kriek (cherry), pomme (apple), peche (peach) or framboise (raspberry). They definitely have a sweet taste with a nice mix of tartness. See the link below.

http://www.lindemans.be/start/lambik/en

Clarification.....Lindemanns is sweet, yes. It is not a typical lambic, however. A true lambic is pretty damned sour. Get ahold of a Cantillion if you want the real deal, and hold onto your hat. :D

I'll agree with the Lindemanns. Also try some Scotch Ales. They are balanced on the malty, sweet side.

From talking with friends, I think many people (mostly women, but some guys, too) equate low hops flavor with sweetness. So by 'sweet', she may not necessarily mean sickly sweet fruit flavor, just not a total hops overload.

That's why the light lagers end up so popular. They use almost no hops, so no real apparent bitterness.

Brewsmith said:
That's why the light lagers end up so popular. They use almost no hops, so no real apparent bitterness.

Yup, sounds likely. I must be a weirdo, though, because I've yet to meet a lager that I actually like. :eek:

Back