Counterflow chillers and cold break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK how do you guys capture your cold break while using a counterflow chiller so it doesnt end up in your fermentor? OR do ya just let it go in and not worry about it?

I may be getting a bit anal about it and I have a feeling I shouldnt really worry about it.

I just let it go into the fermenter and rack from the primary as soon as fermentation slows. I've read that it's really not that big a deal to have some break material on the bottom of the fermenter, and I don't think I've experienced any ill effects.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
It's a cloudiness thing right?

For me? na usually I dont give a shat about it but with Holy Hell and the amount of malt being used and the length of the fermentation I was worried that it may impart off flavors.

I try and capture all cold break in the brew pot before dumping into the primary. Well, at least get it down to about 120 or so. Then when I dump into the primary, I use the brewing spoon to hold back some of the break. Now, some gets in there but from what I read, that's a good thing. Yeast need a little of it anyway.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
It's a cloudiness thing right?
I don't think cold break contributes too much cloudiness if you allow it into the fermenter. Since I started using the counterflow chiller, my brews have become much clearer.

My funnel has a filter on it. Maybe I'll just run it through that while I fill the carboy. Hell it cant hurt but will be a huge PITA to stop and start all the time to clear the filter.

Ol'Grog most of the crap in my kettle stays in my ketle, I use a home made hop stopper. I would post on how to make on but after making my own I would DEFINETLY pay for one instead of making another. Problem is when I cool my beer it leaves the pot at about 200 degrees and enters the fermentor 25 feet later at about 70 degrees (usually my tap water around here is anywhere from 40 - 65 degrees depending on the time of year) so any cold beak I may get is from outside the kettle and formed in the chiller.

Back