Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wraith264

Reaction score
Hey guys, pretty new to the whole brewing scene (still in the process of gathering the materials for my first brew) but I've been lurking for a while and I just happen to have found a free fridge for a kegerator to-be. Crappy phone pics will be linked once I get back to the home.

Anyway, I found this thing on the curb. Loaded it into the truck and drove it home. I have since learned it's bad to lay a fridge on it's side. How come?

I came to the realization that the fridge had quite the amount of mold in and set to cleaning. One hour later I have the divider between the fridge and the freezer completely ripped out as well as the insulation in the doors and the egg holders and other various crap. I plan on leaving the divider out and joining the doors so that they open as one unit. Between them I am going to mount the taps, one to start with, more to come. I may need to beef up the door with some angle iron under the insulation to combat flexing or maybe just grab some foam board and call it good.

My biggest question though involves the metal piece that fronted the divider between the fridge and freezer. It has two wires glued to the back on top of some insulating film and they are arranged in such a way that double back on themselves so that they cover the piece of film. Anyone have a clue? I appreciate the difficulty in diagnosing without pictures.

You can lay a fridge on its side, you just have to let it sit upright for atleast 24 hours (72 is best). It is because of the oil in the compressor needs to drain backs down.

Back