most bass-ackwards conversation ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylornate

Reaction score
me: I'll have a Bare Knuckle
bartender: That's like Guinness, right?
me: Yeah.
bartender: What's the difference between that and Guinness?
me: I'm not sure I'd be able to describe it that well. They're pretty similar.
bartender: I don't like Guinness.
me: Then you probably wouldn't like Bare Knuckle.

College town. Female bartender hired to look nice.

and making a decent attempt to chat you up.

I fail to see the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just thought it was backwards and amusing.

Edit: And they had Stella on tap which I thought was pretty cool. Later I ordered one and it came in a plastic cup :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just thought it was backwards and amusing.

I've never heard of Bare-Knuckle. At least she had an idea it was similar to Guiness (if it is) despite not liking the style. Heck, that's 100% more effort than you'll get anywhere around here.

On the other hand, now she knows Bare Knuckle is something like Guinness (at least in the OPHO), rather than assuming it was the same because they are both stouts.

Holy cow I'm from Duquoin and went to SIU. Nothing more to add except that I'm shocked by the novelty of someone from Carbondale. Oh, and I've never heard of Bare Knuckle either, but I'm on a stout kick right now so I'll have to seek it out.

Holy cow I'm from Duquoin and went to SIU. Nothing more to add except that I'm shocked by the novelty of someone from Carbondale. Oh, and I've never heard of Bare Knuckle either, but I'm on a stout kick right now so I'll have to seek it out.

This was at Pinch Penny, which has a limited but impressive selection of good beers in their store :mug:

Man that is the only one I never go to. I'll have to change that. A bit of a drive for you but the Liquor Barrel in Benton just opened a new building and they are getting all sorts of stuff I've never found anywhere around here. I've talked to the buyer a couple times and he seems like a pretty cool guy. Maybe we could get enough people to leverage him into getting some homebrew supplies in.

Man that is the only one I never go to. I'll have to change that. A bit of a drive for you but the Liquor Barrel in Benton just opened a new building and they are getting all sorts of stuff I've never found anywhere around here. I've talked to the buyer a couple times and he seems like a pretty cool guy. Maybe we could get enough people to leverage him into getting some homebrew supplies in.

Yeah, that is quite the drive. It's on my way north, but in that case I'd stop by Friar Tuck in Champaign. Old Town has some limited homebrew supplies. They have several different bombers of Rogue, too. Because of the homebrew supplies I've been going there, and I was at Pinch for the first time in awhile. They had SN Bigfoot Barleywine, Rogue Double Dead Guy, Rogue Imperial Pilsner, Delerium Tremens...

And a first in Carbondale: An employee actually asked me what kind of beer I was looking for and made several suggestions!

Yeah I got the "hop shortage" excuse at Old Town a few months ago when I asked if they have any hops, any variety, anything at all. Oh Well. Still it would be okay to pick up some piece of equipment in if you're in a bind.

I hear you about service. A friend had to give a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings a Black and Tan lesson. That and the girl last week at Callihan's that had no clue what a Boddingtons was. Then when she picked the can up she kinda shook it and said, "I think it's broken." Oh boy.

and making a decent attempt to chat you up.

I fail to see the problem.

I agree. I think you blew a chance, OP. :)

I don't see anything backward, either. You have someone who wants to know more about a beer. There only are a few places out there where I expect the bartenders to actually know much about the products they serve.

I kinda like educating the bartenders. That usually leads to free beers and stuff. :rockin:

TL

When I was there some old Munton's canned extract, various chems and whatnot, no hops at all, and a handful of old dry yeast packets and an ale pail. Save your gas.

me: I'll have a Bare Knuckle
bartender: That's like Guinness, right?
me: Yeah.
bartender: What's the difference between that and Guinness?
me: I'm not sure I'd be able to describe it that well. They're pretty similar.
bartender: I don't like Guinness.

Conversation continued:

me: I'll have a salad from the kitchen if you don't mind.
bartender: you mean like a chicken salad or one of those "tossed" salads?
me: which do you recommend?
bartender: i do like a good tossed salad.

You just didn't let nature take its course. :D

Sorry OT again.
Boddington, Bass, Hoegaarden...

also AB.

Boddington's? BODDINGTON'S??? Oh dear god... I've had it many times... and I liked it! Lord help me I liked it!!!

I think I'm going to need 20 minutes in the fetal position. BRB.

Back