Something that might interest you home brewers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
I have recently come apon a large supply of 5 gallon plastic buckets that I could sell to you all if anyone would be interested. Im not selling anything in this thread, if i was it would be in the sellers section. I am just wondering if anyone would be interested in buying 5 gallon buckets with spigots drilled or not drilled, complete with lids. Constructive critisism is incouraged .

1tk6.jpg

close up of spigot:

2gv2.jpg

The only thing that i might change if people are interested is the spigot, it seems that it wouldn't be able to have a tube fitted around it.

What type of plastic are they?
Do the lids have a rubber seal? Are they re-sealable? Grommet hole in the cap?

5 Gals would only be good for secondary and on, as there is not enough room for primary. Are they food grade? Are they used?

They are all used, they come to me full of marshmellow so they would be food grade, they are in great condition, i hand clean everyone i wouldnt ship any bad products out, the lid seals with rubber i can get a shot of that also. no hole in the top.

Sephro said:
What does the little recycle triangle say for a number in it??
There is a number Two in the recycle thing.

I also think i drilled the spigot too high in this one, that can be changed though.

Well you could use it for a primary but most of the time you would not want to.
The number 2 means that it is HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene) Most plastics used in brewing will be #1 PET (Poly Ethylene Terepthalate) The PET will not allow the O2 to penetrate as the HDPE will. I'm not saying that it won't work.. It's just not the preferred plastic... Higher the numbers usually the more permeable the plastic is.
They would still work as a bottling bucket or you could put 2 together and drill holes in the bottom as a cheap MLT...

Sephro said:
Well you could use it for a primary but most of the time you would not want to.
The number 2 means that it is HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene) Most plastics used in brewing will be #1 PET (Poly Ethylene Terepthalate) The PET will not allow the O2 to penetrate as the HDPE will. I'm not saying that it won't work.. It's just not the preferred plastic... Higher the numbers usually the more permeable the plastic is.
They would still work as a bottling bucket or you could put 2 together and drill holes in the bottom as a cheap MLT...

Alright thank you if anyone is interested in some bottling buckets pm me.

They would more than likely be perfectly fine for a primary. It wouldn't matter while it is actively fermenting. It just wouldn’t be something that I would leave my beer in for more than 1 week..

Sephro said:
They would more than likely be perfectly fine for a primary. It wouldn't matter while it is actively fermenting. It just wouldn’t be something that I would leave my beer in for more than 1 week..

Im going to use mine for bottling, since I didn't buy the bottling device .

Muntzster said:
Im going to use mine for bottling, since I didn't buy the bottling device .

Only problem is that at 5 gallons, you'd better have a good setup! I usually put my bottling bucket on the ground, then rack from the Tower of Fermentation, then carry that bucket upstairs to prepare to bottle (it nicely distributes the priming sugar). My bucketis 6.5 gallons though, so I have plenty of "slosh" room. At 5 gallons, you're going to spill if you move it so you'd better be able to rack to the bucket, then from bucket to bottle without moving the bucket.

Yikes!

FYI, all three of my "name brand" brew buckets are HDPE #2 plastic... no problems with them. Dont be too worried about oxygen contamination through the plastic...

These buckets will make decent secondaries and great bottling buckets.

You can fit a variety of tubing to the spigot too. I have one of these on my boiler.
tp2.jpg

TapFitting2.jpg

DAAB said:
You can fit a variety of tubing to the spigot too. I have one of these on my boiler.
tp2.jpg

TapFitting2.jpg

Thank you for the photo, i also noticed that my mr. beer brewing kit was a number 5 in the recycling thing and the beer actually isnt bad, who is interested, i have tons of these buckets and i will sell them rather cheaply, idk how much shippiung would be though.

Back