Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever converted this recipe to a lower gravity version? I'd like to brew it but maybe in the neighborhood of 1055-1060. Can I just do that in BeerSmith, maintaining percentages? More importantly, would it completely alter the beer's character? Any suggestions are appreciated. I just don't care much for higher alcohol brews... Like to knock back more than a few without getting smashed!

Sent from my iPad

I recently brewed a 1.064 version by scaling everything proportionally.

Denny, I just racked my second batch yesterday. Got OG of 1.064 😟...not sure why. Got down to 1.014; so, I guess it's not a total failure. First try was right on, and it was probably the best beer I've brewed! Sons thought so too...didn't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just finished tweaking the recipe in Beersmith to come in around 1062 on my eHERMS. Using all the specified ingredients with exception of subbing Centenial for Columbus bittering at 60 min. I've got some laying around. Hopefully that's not to noticeable. Looking forward to this brew sesh!

Sent from my iPad

I just finished tweaking the recipe in Beersmith to come in around 1062 on my eHERMS. Using all the specified ingredients with exception of subbing Centenial for Columbus bittering at 60 min. I've got some laying around. Hopefully that's not to noticeable. Looking forward to this brew sesh!

Sent from my iPad

It will be very noticeable. Not necessarily bad, but very different. That beer has been rightly called a "Columbus delivery vehicle".

Noted. I will stick with Columbus as I am partial to the idea of a Columbus delivery vehicle. I also plan to dry hop with an ounce of leafy Columbus. Thanks again!

Would it be OK if I let this sit in primary for two weeks and then did a week of dry hopping in a keg chilled?

For best results, rack it off the yeast before dry hopping.

Just finished racking to a carboy with an ounce of whole leaf Columbus. Plan on giving it about 5 days at room temp (72F). The sample pre-dry hopping tasted wonderful! Very excited about this one.

I'm looking to brew this next weekend. In the recipe Denny states to add 1 t gypsum in the mash at 60 minutes. I do BIAB so would I just add this during the 60 minute rest?
Also, seems like I read somewhere that IPA's increase ph. If that's the case, would adding the gypsum keep the ph within an acceptable range or would it be best to also add 3% acid malt in addition to the gypsum?
I use filtered water from one of those machines and I've always added 1 T calcium to 5 gallons of water.

Also is there another hop I could sub Columbus for as all the LHBS has is CTZ and I've read where depending on which CTZ you get could be real pungent and unpleasant. Would Magnum or Warrior work or something else?

I'm looking to brew this next weekend. In the recipe Denny states to add 1 t gypsum in the mash at 60 minutes. I do BIAB so would I just add this during the 60 minute rest?
Also, seems like I read somewhere that IPA's increase ph. If that's the case, would adding the gypsum keep the ph within an acceptable range or would it be best to also add 3% acid malt in addition to the gypsum?
I use filtered water from one of those machines and I've always added 1 T calcium to 5 gallons of water.

Also is there another hop I could sub Columbus for as all the LHBS has is CTZ and I've read where depending on which CTZ you get could be real pungent and unpleasant. Would Magnum or Warrior work or something else?

Add the gypsum to the water you use to mash. IPAs increase pH? Nope, not that I've noticed after brewing hundreds of IPAs. Gypsum, at that amount, will have virtually no effect on your pH. Don't blindly use acid malt or anything else. You have to know how the grist affect things. Use Brunwater to figure out salt additions.

Columbus and CTZ are genetically identical. You can interchange them freely. If you use Magnum or Warrior you are making a different beer and I can't vouch for the result.

If you use Magnum or Warrior you are making a different beer and I can't vouch for the result.

Thank you for pointing this out. I have learned in my short brewing career that the type of bittering edition can make a big difference... where the consensus seems to be "Throw in any bittering hop it will be fine" I bittered a pale ale with Cascade once, since it was all I had at the time. The beer was definitely not fine lol.

Thank you for pointing this out. I have learned in my short brewing career that the type of bittering edition can make a big difference... where the consensus seems to be "Throw in any bittering hop it will be fine" I bittered a pale ale with Cascade once, since it was all I had at the time. The beer was definitely not fine lol.

Well, Cascade isn't a bittering hop, so…

Huh. Interesting. No problem with vegetal notes since you have to use more?

Off the top of my head I've done 2+ oz. for bittering with no problem. Done a lot more than that for later additions with no problems. Which brings up the question....if you can toss a lot in late and not have to worry about vegetal, why would you have a problem doing it earlier?

Brewing this as i type. Couldnt find Dannys favorite 50 but i am curious to see how this turns out as i love rye IPA's. Congratulations on the post length.

Fermenting at the moment. Much went wrong thanks to a grumpy neighbour disrupting my process but we'll see what results - I've learned that beer can be forgiving.

On a related note, how does slight diacetyl off-flavouring pair with this brew?

Brewed this yesterday. Numbers were a little high, Preboil was 1.055 / Post boil 1.082. I'll assume the FG will be a bit high as wel. Hoping to get to 1.018 in 14-21 days. Pitched yeast slurry at 10 pm last night. Wort temp 68, yeast slurry temp 62.
My boil time & hop additions were a little off as my brewers friend timer crashed so I had to reset and estimate the remaining time.
The aroma while brewing was amazing- I can only hope the taste is as good.
Did sample and it was a bit on the sweet side and didn't really have any hop flavor. Will dry hop about .75 oz of Columbus for 5 days.
Now the wait begins.

Brewed this yesterday. Numbers were a little high, Preboil was 1.055 / Post boil 1.082. I'll assume the FG will be a bit high as wel. Hoping to get to 1.018 in 14-21 days. Pitched yeast slurry at 10 pm last night. Wort temp 68, yeast slurry temp 62.
My boil time & hop additions were a little off as my brewers friend timer crashed so I had to reset and estimate the remaining time.
The aroma while brewing was amazing- I can only hope the taste is as good.
Did sample and it was a bit on the sweet side and didn't really have any hop flavor. Will dry hop about .75 oz of Columbus for 5 days.
Now the wait begins.

I'd recommend more dry hops...an oz. at least and I usually go for 2 oz.

Denny, the original post is 7 years old now, just want to make sure that is still the exact recipe, or if there has been any evolution or slight tweaks to it since then. Thanks!

Denny, the original post is 7 years old now, just want to make sure that is still the exact recipe, or if there has been any evolution or slight tweaks to it since then. Thanks!

ALWAYS look for the official versions of my recipes on the AHA recipe wiki! That's where I archive all the best ones. And there are a LOT of other proven, fantastic recipes there, too. The Rye IPA is at http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DCRyeIPA

This is a great beer.

20151101_130527.jpg

Today is day 5 and there is still airlock activity. Much slower but it's still happening. When I checked the post boil gravity I had to sample and I thought it was a little sweet, more so than any of the other beers I've made. But this is the first rye beer I make.
Outside of my first beer, I am having difficulty waiting for this one to finish. Still have a long ways to go.

Think i'll brew this next week.[/QUOTE

Me, too.

Well, my plan has now changed. LHBS is out of Denny's Favorite and won't have any until after the first of the year. I need it by Monday, and with holiday shipping, I don't think I can order and get it here in time. Guess will be the brew after the holidays!

Edit: Called the other LHBS in town (the one I don't go to very often) and they had the 1450! Woo hoo. Brewing it next week after all.

This was my first time brewing this recipe and the first time using my Grainfather. After getting used to the time it took to get up to Mash and then boil temps, things came off without a hitch.

OG came out at 1.075 so I was psyched. Pitched Denny's favorite from a starter and my Beer Bug reads 1.011 for the last 3 days. I put in 1 oz Columbus as primary has been finishing.

Can wait to taste this beer!

One question- the recipe at the start of this thread says 21 days in primary and secondary- is this correct?

This was my first time brewing this recipe and the first time using my Grainfather. After getting used to the time it took to get up to Mash and then boil temps, things came off without a hitch.

OG came out at 1.075 so I was psyched. Pitched Denny's favorite from a starter and my Beer Bug reads 1.011 for the last 3 days. I put in 1 oz Columbus as primary has been finishing.

Can wait to taste this beer!

One question- the recipe at the start of this thread says 21 days in primary and secondary- is this correct?

Time in the fermenter depends on what the beer does. I always say that the beer makes the schedule, not the calendar. Use your own judgment.

Back