Yerba mate recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow it's stuff like this that I love. I'm looking to do a yerba mate recipe. I have so many friends who drink it regularly and have been asking about it ever since I started brewing. For anyone who has tried it, how did it turn out, and recipes are always welcome! :)

I used a good amount of info from this forum for my "Yerba Mate' Black" recipe. I just wanted to say thanks first off, and share my recipe too.

http://newtraditionbrewing.blogspot.com/2013/07/yerba-mate-black-recipe-review.html

Mitch

Yerba Black.jpg

Wow, that recipe looks great! Good idea with the roasted/chocolatey malts mixed with the hops and earthy/grassy bitterness from the yerba. I wonder what a little smoke would do? I would think that some residual sweetness rather than a dryer beeer would be helpful too! My last yerba mate beer used a 100% yerba mate dry extract, but in more of a lighter IPA style. I may try this one out, maybe a modded black IPA kit with extract!

An amletic doubt: if I want to add water infused with yerba mate in the second fermenter, when should I correct the pH, before infusing mate (temp < 80°C) or after the infusion? To say, to reach a pH of about 5.5 in the water addition...

An amletic doubt: if I want to add water infused with yerba mate in the second fermenter, when should I correct the pH, before infusing mate (temp < 80°C) or after the infusion? To say, to reach a pH of about 5.5 in the water addition...

Ok maybe i missed a post or two (and I really need to re-edit the orgiinal post) but i have to ask; why are you messing with the Ph of your yerba addition?

I would simply make a yerba mate tea and add it to the end of fermentation.

I was planning to make either a stout or porter next batch, and after rereading this thread ive decided ti make it a yerba mate version.

I need to pick up sone mate from my distributor (uhm yeah.. i drink it a lot) next week. Probably go with a Paraguay brand which tends to be smokier than Yerba from Argentina or Equidor.

I will update and post the all grain recipe once i have it concocted.

Well I used 'amletic' 'cause I don't know if correcting the pH is a right move or not. Generally speaking, I am curious about it: if introducing 'elements' in a beer strictly require a pH control or not.

Going to brew this soon. Need to get some yerba first. Hopefully brew Monday or Tuesday.

Not quite sure how much yerba to use. I roughly figured 120g for 40L batch. I want enough so that you there is a balance to the overall flavor profile but not so much that you get the jitters from drinking 2 or 3 pints.

The water needed to brew the "tea" isn't accounted for as I'm not sure how much that will be. My Efficiency is set low because I am adjusting to a new false bottom and new grinder, but I expect it to be higher than 72%.

I never weigh Yerba Mate when making it. I usually dump a bunch into a large mug, soak in a bit of cold water then infuse with hot water from a coffee maker that is only used for Yerba Mate water.

I'm going to use a large french press for this.

Any thoughts on the following Yerba Mate Oatmeal Stout recipe?

Code:
Recipe: Yerba Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: Denny Lajeunesse
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 47.98 l
Post Boil Volume: 42.64 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 38.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.0552 SG
Estimated Color: 40.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.8 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6.00 kg               Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus) (2.0 SRM)   Grain         1        60.0 %        
1.00 kg               Munich Light 10L (Gambrinus) (11.0 SRM)  Grain         2        10.0 %        
0.75 kg               Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM)   Grain         3        7.5 %         
0.75 kg               Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)           Grain         4        7.5 %         
0.50 kg               Carafa III (525.0 SRM)                   Grain         5        5.0 %         
0.50 kg               Honey Malt (Gambrinus) (25.0 SRM)        Grain         6        5.0 %         
0.50 kg               Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         7        5.0 %         
40.00 g               Phoenix [11.60 %] - First Wort 75.0 min  Hop           8        33.7 IBUs     
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        9        -             
0.50 tsp              Yeastex (Boil 15.0 mins)                 Other         10       -             
20.00 g               Phoenix [11.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           11       5.3 IBUs      
2.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         12       -             
120.00 g              Yerba Mate (Primary 0.0 mins)            Flavor        13       -             

Mash Schedule: _My 67c (152.6F) Med Light Body 3.0 L/KG
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 kg
----------------------------
Name                   Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Light body: 67c (152.6 Add 32.000 l of water and heat to 67.0  67.0 C        30 min        
Mash Step-Head builder Add 0.000 l of water at 72.0 C          72.0 C        15 min        
Mash out               Add 0.000 l of water at 76.0 C          76.0 C        15 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 28.41l) of 75.6 C water

I used about 1.6 grams per Liter in an APA with 1,050 OG 36 IBU. In your opinion will the outcome be too bitter?

Back